Tahoe Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have heard the same noises from the bearings and the cv shafts before. The axle shafts noises I have even heard from new shafts. Some of that noise is also a transfer down the shat where it plugs in to the differential. IMO, the noises you hear while driving are related to the bearings but if it was me, especially in a rust state, I would replace bearings and shafts all at the same time. BUT, you are could have noises and noise transfer from other steering and suspension components. I am not there but used to be in shops in a rust state. Others will chime in hopefully.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard the same noises from the bearings and the cv shafts before. The axle shafts noises I have even heard from new shafts. Some of that noise is also a transfer down the shat where it plugs in to the differential. IMO, the noises you hear while driving are related to the bearings but if it was me, especially in a rust state, I would replace bearings and shafts all at the same time. BUT, you are could have noises and noise transfer from other steering and suspension components. I am not there but used to be in shops in a rust state. Others will chime in hopefully.
I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with the bearing right now as it feels fine and I dont feel any play in it. For now I'm going to replace all the sway bar bushings and links as they're really bad, I already have everything taken off just waiting for parts

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updating. I removed the CV axle today and then put the tire back on and wiggled it at 9 and 3 like before and no noise from that side, so the CV axles are probably worn. I put it back in of course so I dont lose a tire, but I'll probably replace those eventually.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bearings are part of the hub assembly and the hub assembly is bolted into the steering knuckle.
The wheels are secured with the lug nuts onto the hub assembly.

Your wheels and tires will not come off if the CV axle is removed. They will stay on just fine.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting ABS light/chime and codes, then grinding noise. Followed by complete hub failure.
If you get any kind of ABS codes, it may be a warning sign for pending hub failure.

See what looks like a bearing with the nice ring of roller bearings in the photo? There is supposed to be another full ring bearing above it and both are supposed to stay inside the hub assembly.
Mine pulled apart by hand as soon as I got the axle nut off!

20220526_110401 (1).jpg

Here are the roller bearings that were originally inside the hub assembly... What was left of them after they got spit out the back side of the bearing seal...

You can live without a CV Axle... But you can't go anywhere without a safe hub assembly.

20220526_102039.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right