Sway bar orientation during install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The installation instructions mentions that the kicker bar is an optional to the kit, I wonder if they did that on purpose.

How do the kicker bars tie into the center crossmember?

OP
OP
ValleyTahoe

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
Kicker bars have predrilled holes in the crossmember for the mounts.

RC says I have the sway bar mounts are backwards. They want me to flip them and switch sides. Guess there is a small angle to them. I dont see how this will make a huge difference but hoping for one.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is the dilemma now. So sway bar is on. Link tight. I figure I’d finish front and drop on tires. Sway bar itself will hit kicker bars if I try to install. Something isn’t right here. it if I flip sway it hits the driveshaft above when unsprung on jacks. May not hit with the weight on the tires but it will put the link like 12 inches or more from lower control arm. That didn’t seem right either.

RC kit doesn’t say anything about needing new or longer links. I’m waiting on RC tomorrow for help then finishing the rear and new wheels and tires come Monday if all goes as planned.

View attachment 424329

That dog is like "WTF" LOL.

OP
OP
ValleyTahoe

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
Just an update. Compared bars to another tahoe and avalanche. Sway is correct and in right orientation. Issue is the sway bar drop is too much still. i’m waiting on RC and have confirmed a bunch of dimensions but seems this one is a weird one for them. Even stranger the sway bar mounts to the frame and so does the crossmember so should be zero articulation points or difference in dimensions. I’m at a loss. Can’t figure this one out. Will update when RC responds

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is the dilemma now. So sway bar is on. Link tight. I figure I’d finish front and drop on tires. Sway bar itself will hit kicker bars if I try to install. Something isn’t right here. it if I flip sway it hits the driveshaft above when unsprung on jacks. May not hit with the weight on the tires but it will put the link like 12 inches or more from lower control arm. That didn’t seem right either.

RC kit doesn’t say anything about needing new or longer links. I’m waiting on RC tomorrow for help then finishing the rear and new wheels and tires come Monday if all goes as planned.

View attachment 424329
what happens if that kicker bar is moved to the other side? flipped I guess you could call it, so the bolt goes the other way...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 424329
kind of looks like the bracket is not in the right spot, can you drill a hole and move it over? more towards the outside so it clears the sway bar

OP
OP
ValleyTahoe

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on RC to confirm a few things. The holes in the crossmember were drilled by RC in the right place according to dimensions.

My thoughts are go without the kickers all together. Leaving me wondering why this wasnt a simple install. RC says this has never happened.

The other would be to drill new holes or even get a set of the rear brackets for the kicker and use them for the front. If you bolted the rears up front it drops the bar about and inch or so. You actually have two holes in the rear bracket so you could adjust it vertically if mounted in the front.

Just at a loss which stinks. Everything else in kit looks right and went together perfect. I'm no slouch of a mechanic and was in automotive for the past 20 years. This seems so simple but with the fixed mounting points I cant for the life of me dechiper the issue here.

One slight thing I'm noticing is my sway bar hump doesnt start right outside of the mounts. I checked an avalanche in my lot and the bar looks very similar but I'm starting to think this Border Patrol came with a different bar. My hump starts several inches from inside of mount and the angle is slightly different. Take a look. Maybe its just a aftermarket or heavy duty sway.

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this one.

IMG_3400.jpegIMG_3398.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpeg
    IMG_3368.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts