Sway bar orientation during install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
I removed my calipers, brake lines and sway bar/bushings then painted my bar during my RC 7.5 lift. I'm not 100% the bar is flipped correctly. I believe I have it on correct but keep doubting myself. The hump in the center of the bar is hanging down when the vehicle is on jack stands. I've tried to picture flipping it but not sure.

IMG_3332.jpegIMG_3336.jpegIMG_3333.jpeg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I removed my calipers, brake lines and sway bar/bushings then painted my bar during my RC 7.5 lift. I'm not 100% the bar is flipped correctly. I believe I have it on correct but keep doubting myself. The hump in the center of the bar is hanging down when the vehicle is on jack stands. I've tried to picture flipping it but not sure.

View attachment 423954View attachment 423955View attachment 423956

Gotta say it hurts a lot to see those calipers hangin' by the hoses. o_O

OP
OP
ValleyTahoe

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
Gotta say it hurts a lot to see those calipers hangin' by the hoses. o_O
Yeh lol. Knew that was coming. Got new hoses and calipers are being refinished. Even worse in the picture the hose is behind the bar and you cant even attach caliper hahaha jokes on me.

The more I look at it I belive the bar is the wrong way. The way it currently is if you put tires and weight on the suspension the bar hump will hang lower down. I believe if I flip the bar the hump will be up with tires hanging and when adding weight and putting vehicles back on tires it the hump will hang downward but not as far as down now. Its hump currently in center is almost pointing downward and there is no weight on suspension.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
ValleyTahoe

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the response def tricky. I just believe when I get the weight back on the tires that the bar in the center section is going to be pointing straight downward. If I start with bar flipped the hump is higher off weight and upon dropping back on the wheels the hump should sit sngled lower but not as low as starting now with the bar this direction. Hard to explain.

Anyone who can give it a glance or has a RC 7.5 and can take look under it would be appreciated. I'm going to try to move forward and finish the install today.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response def tricky. I just believe when I get the weight back on the tires that the bar in the center section is going to be pointing straight downward. If I start with bar flipped the hump is higher off weight and upon dropping back on the wheels the hump should sit sngled lower but not as low as starting now with the bar this direction. Hard to explain.

Anyone who can give it a glance or has a RC 7.5 and can take look under it would be appreciated. I'm going to try to move forward and finish the install today.
Pretty sure you are fine
1000005070.jpg

OP
OP
ValleyTahoe

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
Pretty sure you are fine
View attachment 423991
Really appreciate the photo. Mine looks like yours but mine has no weight on the wheels. I can see my bar being straight up and down once weight is on it. Picture my bar flipped or picture yours with no weight and the U in the bar would be upward. With weight downward. Thats my concern mine has no weight and looks like this. Picture it Picture it haha I think I need to flip it. lol

OP
OP
ValleyTahoe

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
After looking at your photos more closely and looking and comparing angles unsprung. I'm goint to leave the bar as is till I get it on the ground. The bar is easily replaced wheels on or off. I'm going to proceed. Thanks again for the photo Doubeleive.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate the photo. Mine looks like yours but mine has no weight on the wheels. I can see my bar being straight up and down once weight is on it. Picture my bar flipped or picture yours with no weight and the U in the bar would be upward. With weight downward. Thats my concern mine has no weight and looks like this. Picture it Picture it haha I think I need to flip it. lol
well mine is a Hellwig and I installed it just like it shows in the hellwig guide
wigg.JPG

OP
OP
ValleyTahoe

ValleyTahoe

Reaction score
So here is the dilemma now. So sway bar is on. Link tight. I figure I’d finish front and drop on tires. Sway bar itself will hit kicker bars if I try to install. Something isn’t right here. it if I flip sway it hits the driveshaft above when unsprung on jacks. May not hit with the weight on the tires but it will put the link like 12 inches or more from lower control arm. That didn’t seem right either.

RC kit doesn’t say anything about needing new or longer links. I’m waiting on RC tomorrow for help then finishing the rear and new wheels and tires come Monday if all goes as planned.

IMG_3351.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3354.jpeg
    IMG_3354.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3350.jpeg
    IMG_3350.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 73276287047__CDB0F805-17FA-4E26-8299-BB7408AE5DF2.jpeg