Swamped truck.Water in tranny.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MelissaMassacre93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Swamped my truck 2 weeks ago and got water in a lot of places. The transmission being one of them. The guys I know suck and my brothers are lazy, so I have to do things on my own apparently.

How do I drain the transmission?!

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as stated above ^^^ you might have to repeat a few times to get all the water out . without a machine to pump the fluid out you will only get to the fluid in the pan

metaljunkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might try to take the top transmission line loose at the radiator and stick the line in a empty jug. Start the truck for a few seconds and then shut the engine off. It will pump out a couple of quarts of old fluid into the jug. Then add 2 or 3 quarts of new fluid to the transmission. Repeat until the old fluid is pumped out. Do not let the engine run very long or the transmission will pump out to much fluid and damage the pump. I would also recommend dropping the pan and changing the filter.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
It would be risky doing just a regular flush with stock pump when water has been mixed with the trans fluid. Once you have had the truck running and water gets mixed with that fluid it separates and becomes bubbly or air raided. A machine would be best to get all the water out and maybe even less costly. Mainly bc it may take a few times and a lot of new fluid to flush out all the water from the left over fluid even after you drain it. Most shops may even go to the route of changing all associated parts before doing the trans flush just to avoid any problems. If I did this at home or personal garage I personally would drain trans, do a flush once, then replace all lines, blow out as best you can from the radiator, if you have a trans cooler then replace that and then replace filter and then not sure on your vehicle or any of the newer ones for that matter have it, but drain the torque converter if possible. You can run the truck a little to see if anything comes out of the return line after you drain everything but like stated above not for too long at all, you could burn up the pump, then after that add fluid and do a trans flush with the stock pump again and keep adding fluid while your watching it come out of the return line. Like I said with stock pump you may have to do this a few times or keep adding more and more fluid to get all the air-raided fluid out of the trans and torque converter(if you can not drain it).

Best rout though is to get a shop with a machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz