Suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phillimb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post here. Have followed the threads, just never have posted.

Started looking at the new Yukons and am going to get one, just unsure of now or later this year

I previously owned a 2016 Denali, however, had to get rid of it due to transmission issues. I know that one had self-leveling suspension when trailering a load. Ive been looking through the GMC site and all I’ve seen is that the new air suspension will definitely have it, but I haven’t found whether if it will level without that suspension.

I assume it’ll be Novemberish before that is released. Not a huge ordeal to wait. Drive a 2017 Armada that was my wife’s that she begged for. Not a bad car, just miss the Yukon

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @Rocket Man said and ask for brochures of the model you are interested in and do your reading about it.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

When you get the rig, post lots of exterior and interior pics here. And also do this:

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

You’ve already gotten some good advice. Good luck in your search.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like @Rocket Man said and ask for brochures of the model you are interested in and do your reading about it.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

When you get the rig, post lots of exterior and interior pics here. And also do this:

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.
FYI the new rigs don’t have an RPO sticker inside the glovebox. GM went to a QR code inside the door jam.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Hopefully, you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions, once you get your Yukon.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First post here. Have followed the threads, just never have posted.

Started looking at the new Yukons and am going to get one, just unsure of now or later this year

I previously owned a 2016 Denali, however, had to get rid of it due to transmission issues. I know that one had self-leveling suspension when trailering a load. Ive been looking through the GMC site and all I’ve seen is that the new air suspension will definitely have it, but I haven’t found whether if it will level without that suspension.

I assume it’ll be Novemberish before that is released. Not a huge ordeal to wait. Drive a 2017 Armada that was my wife’s that she begged for. Not a bad car, just miss the Yukon

I for one and only think it's an excellent question. I'm not sure but I can't see how the vehicle could self level without air suspension.

I always like to research vehicles before going to a dealership. I ask a question and before answering they want my information. Not why I went there to get on their mailing list and besides they don't know these new vehicles as well as I do and I've been to more than one asking about the new Tahoe plus they don't even have brochures. Another complaint is the brochures I've seen in the past few years don't have the tables in the back of options and trim levels which make it easy to see just what you like with out adding unneeded accessories.

Right now dealers don't have to push the few 2021s they get so either buy the one they have or order or come back later. Been there done that. They say the internet has changed the buying experience, yeah do your own research and come back with your money in hand. I'm an old guy and I can tell you it isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for one and only think it's an excellent question. I'm not sure but I can't see how the vehicle could self level without air suspension.

There is a mechanical leveling system shock Nivomat that uses the suspension movement to raise and lower the suspension with a mechanism in the shock. GM used it on the GMT-800 and I think also the first gen SRX. I don’t believe they use it any more.

jaycough

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why not ask your local dealer any questions regarding the new models?

Thats funny, because most dealers don't know nearly as much as an educated buyer. We learn more looking on line and reviewing the various forums and new articles. Maybe 1 out of 20 sales people know the nitty gritty. Service department, you need to be the expert and challenge them, otherwise you get the famous "No Problem Found" or Unable to Duplicate". My escalade would get a single wiper blade sweep at start. told dealer, they said normal..of course I had to get a copy of the programming narrative from online to show to them. It is not just GM, my wifes acura, same BS..you have to become belligerent with them after an hour to get them to listen....I can go on and on... So like anything else, educate your self before asking the dealer anything.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats funny, because most dealers don't know nearly as much as an educated buyer. We learn more looking on line and reviewing the various forums and new articles. Maybe 1 out of 20 sales people know the nitty gritty. Service department, you need to be the expert and challenge them, otherwise you get the famous "No Problem Found" or Unable to Duplicate". My escalade would get a single wiper blade sweep at start. told dealer, they said normal..of course I had to get a copy of the programming narrative from online to show to them. It is not just GM, my wifes acura, same BS..you have to become belligerent with them after an hour to get them to listen....I can go on and on... So like anything else, educate your self before asking the dealer anything.
They’re gonna be more than willing to find out if you’re thinking of buying. It’s a pretty basic question. Since the 2021 models are so new, the sales department will be trying to educate themselves just like everybody else, and they have the advantage of having a direct connection to GM. But I can say that if you don’t have air there’s no way you’ll have self leveling. There’s no magic way to lift the ass end up. Might be fun to ask a salesman and see what they say and if they say anything different, ask them what exact method is used to self level if it’s not air so you can listen to them try to explain their way out of it. Also, there’s a difference between them servicing something you already own and attempting to sell you a new vehicle.