Supercharging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans won't hold up at all.. 4L60e with miles on it... stock.. Yikes
You'd be better off and cheaper doing the usual hot rod stuff to it
Headers, Camshaft (truck stage 1), Cylinder head work while they're off.
And of course a tune. Save some money up for that transmission to get it
rebuilt with upgraded parts and a better torque converter.

you had a supercharged kit right? I forgot what kind?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Off the beaten path here but I just noticed that GM used the 6 SP trans on the 5.3 Tahoe / Yuke & Burb until 2018. 2019 they finally stepped it up to the 10SP box make the entire line of trucks immune from the 8SP trans woes.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm well how to explain, back story. my total hands on experience with superchargers is about 3. my old D1 procharger at 15lbs, buddy had a small A trim vortech on a fox body, those were all late 90s early 2000s. now days another buddy has a 16 zo6. I've driven and raced with the roots, stock and then Magnuson upgrade.

from my experience the sounds of the centrifical all the time just whirling away under the hood got annoying even when I was young. the A trim only made 6lbs and vortech was better fit and quality back then and no intercooler or blow off made everything easier. but honestly a solid unit for it's time. my procharger, they were a fairly new company back then, the bracketery just wasn't great, mine was sat to make 15lbs, which was excessive at the time, tuning, technology and fuel made that not the smartest buy haha. 10 rib belt, big front mount intercooler, blow off valve making tons of noise driving around, trying to keep it cool, the air filter sat 2in off the header. it needed something all the time, it kinda turned into more than I could keep with at the time, ended up melting some pistons. totally my fault but it was a hassle. now fast forward to today's roots, with air to water intercoolers, nice packaging, internal bypass that just works well, and makes it so you don't have a ton of drag just driving around off boost. when not in the throttle I couldn't even tell it was on the car. I mean yeah, much newer car too, but after driving it, I feel like there's a reason gm didn't go turbo for boost and just went roots. better for daily driver type cars you don't want to pop the hood on all the time

granted, I'm totally out of the game these days, the new centrifugal for these trucks might be perfect, but in my limited experience, it would be hard for me to believe they are less intrusive than a roots without seeing it.

just don't buy a Edelbrock e-force roots kit, there seems to be something about them. atleast in the corvette application, lots of used ones pop up for sale. don't see any Magnuson kits used. they tend to keep those.
Thank you for the reply, I definitely have more thinking to do. The noise is something I kinda want to keep at a minimum, plus the air intake still appears to be right over the header for a procharger

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you had a supercharged kit right? I forgot what kind?
Had the Edelbrock E-Force Roots/Magnuson style... I liked it but MPG was horrible and
my tuner at the time couldn't get MPG acceptable... Long story short I tried a methanol
injection kit so we could put some timing back in it... Didn't have the settings right and
sucked down way too much methanol in about 1 years' time and toasted the supercharger
bearings. So I took it off and did my cam and cylinder head work.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I definitely have more thinking to do. The noise is something I kinda want to keep at a minimum, plus the air intake still appears to be right over the header for a procharger

for daily driving sitting in traffic the filter setting over the exhaust is so hard to tune. it's good for a short drag strip pass but was ****** in the Florida summer in traffic.

I did eventually wrap the header which helped. if you go that way, I'd try to factor in some kinda heat shielding. even if it's just ceramic coat the factory manifold.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the Edelbrock E-Force Roots/Magnuson style... I liked it but MPG was horrible and
my tuner at the time couldn't get MPG acceptable... Long story short I tried a methanol
injection kit so we could put some timing back in it... Didn't have the settings right and
sucked down way too much methanol in about 1 years' time and toasted the supercharger

ahh. I have noticed all tuners are not alike forsure. my buddy picked up a 04 c5 zo6 with a big cam that it was a basket case. maf only tune, the temperature table was completely invertered. it never ran right even na. so he has it torn all apart, smaller cam and has a friend that's a much better tuner. Hopefully it's better.

I don't know what it is about the e force. I don't have any hands on experience with it, but youtube is full of tuners pulling their hair out over high air Temps with them and boards full of people asking why they are 50hp off what they expected. I know it's all the same rotor pack too, just in different housings.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh. I have noticed all tuners are not alike forsure. my buddy picked up a 04 c5 zo6 with a big cam that it was a basket case. maf only tune, the temperature table was completely invertered. it never ran right even na. so he has it torn all apart, smaller cam and has a friend that's a much better tuner. Hopefully it's better.

I don't know what it is about the e force. I don't have any hands on experience with it, but youtube is full of tuners pulling their hair out over high air Temps with them and boards full of people asking why they are 50hp off what they expected. I know it's all the same rotor pack too, just in different housings.
Yes, my chassis dyno numbers kinda sucked... And my IAT's were stupid high
all the time. So I suppose that's why the tuning is so involved. My edelbrock
system even has a water to air intercooler. I tried looking for a bigger intercooler
but the one provided was such a nice fit... And a big ass aftermarket one would block
alot of air to radiator and costs big money$$$$$
Eventually I'll get the SC bearings replaced and try it again, but I think I'm
gonna wait til I build a new shortblock with forged pistons and rods and prob
go a hair lower on the compression ratio (probably stroke to 3.90" to make it a 404")

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, did you really notice a big difference? I remember reading about a Saleen or Shelby supercharged Mustang that was only 0.2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than a stock GT.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the beaten path here but I just noticed that GM used the 6 SP trans on the 5.3 Tahoe / Yuke & Burb until 2018. 2019 they finally stepped it up to the 10SP box make the entire line of trucks immune from the 8SP trans woes.
Nope. 6 speed was used behind the 5.3 until the next Gen's came out in 2021. My 2019 Yukon has the 6 speed. All 6.2's got the 10 speed starting in 2018.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ah, the ol 2015i play where GM kept the 6SP in 1/2 the year of the 2015 Esky’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zucchini