Supercharging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Writefast

Reaction score
So I’m seriously thinking about supercharging my Yuke. 5.3. 180k. Second owner. I’m, if I do this, looking at a Procharger kit. Prior to, is there any way to see if the motor is good for this? Compression and leaks test etc. I’m not looking to race, just to add some ass to her when I want her to have it so we are not talking 1000hp levels of boost. I’m looking for 500 to the wheels. To that point, would I need to replace the rear? And/or the trans? Any thoughts, input, and or experience would be welcome!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. That’s not the news I wanted. lol. Thanks none the less.
that's just how it goes. that extra power is nice but the 4l60 & g80 can only handle so much
if you don't have your foot in it all the time then they might hold up for a while it's not like it's going to break out the gate, but could lol
the rear end can be upgraded, and the 4l60 can be built for more hp

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like the roots style would make a more enjoyable daily driver truck blower. I had a old school D1 procharger years and year ago. it made power, but it was kinda annoying and I was over my head keeping up with it all. sadly it was basically the down fall of that car. once I installed it, it was never really daily driven again.

the new stuff seems eaiser and better setup than back then. but I still think gm went with roots on everything for a reason.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
07 Yukon SLT 2WD right?

100k mi would be alright for a forced induction kit. 180k is a little to near the motors golden years for boost, valve seals and, as previously mentioned, the trans and everything to the back of the truck won’t be ready for the gut punch.

A better way to scratch that itch is to find a non AFM 6.2 from an 09 full size SUV or 09-13 pick up. Once it’s ready for transplant, bolt it in a 09-14 Tahoe or Yuke w/ a 4L60 from the factory.

You’ve got 400+ Reliable & Booorrring hp to mess around with. :rofl: All that torque will safely find it’s way to the ground and you can flip the Yuke you’ve got now.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans won't hold up at all.. 4L60e with miles on it... stock.. Yikes
You'd be better off and cheaper doing the usual hot rod stuff to it
Headers, Camshaft (truck stage 1), Cylinder head work while they're off.
And of course a tune. Save some money up for that transmission to get it
rebuilt with upgraded parts and a better torque converter.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like the roots style would make a more enjoyable daily driver truck blower. I had a old school D1 procharger years and year ago. it made power, but it was kinda annoying and I was over my head keeping up with it all. sadly it was basically the down fall of that car. once I installed it, it was never really daily driven again.

the new stuff seems eaiser and better setup than back then. but I still think gm went with roots on everything for a reason.
I have been saving for a procharger for my cammed 6.2, but have been on the fence about getting a roots style. What made you dislike the procharger? My method of thinking is that my 6.2 already makes a lot of power off idle, which is why the procharger appeals to me. I live in the city and don't need boost all of the time. I've been looking for other people's experiences and challenges.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
This is an expensive platform to increase hp on because in a blink you can add 75 ft lb torque. On a 325 hp motor and drive train engineered for that zone, a 23% increase and your cravings to use it in the normally unused higher RPM range is a red zone for everything.

When you’re not looking for em, that’s when you hear about the guy in fb looking to get rid of his 6.2 in the corner of his garage and wanting to help a brother out to feed his need for speed.

A 5.3 or 6.2 with a pro charger on stock drive train is likely going to tolerate better that a turbo. The hp/tq curve increase starts down lower and more linear compared to the typical turbo kit. The under hood temps and internal thermal increases with a s/c aren’t as severe as a turbo.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been saving for a procharger for my cammed 6.2, but have been on the fence about getting a roots style. What made you dislike the procharger? My method of thinking is that my 6.2 already makes a lot of power off idle, which is why the procharger appeals to me. I live in the city and don't need boost all of the time. I've been looking for other people's experiences and challenges.

hmm well how to explain, back story. my total hands on experience with superchargers is about 3. my old D1 procharger at 15lbs, buddy had a small A trim vortech on a fox body, those were all late 90s early 2000s. now days another buddy has a 16 zo6. I've driven and raced with the roots, stock and then Magnuson upgrade.

from my experience the sounds of the centrifical all the time just whirling away under the hood got annoying even when I was young. the A trim only made 6lbs and vortech was better fit and quality back then and no intercooler or blow off made everything easier. but honestly a solid unit for it's time. my procharger, they were a fairly new company back then, the bracketery just wasn't great, mine was sat to make 15lbs, which was excessive at the time, tuning, technology and fuel made that not the smartest buy haha. 10 rib belt, big front mount intercooler, blow off valve making tons of noise driving around, trying to keep it cool, the air filter sat 2in off the header. it needed something all the time, it kinda turned into more than I could keep with at the time, ended up melting some pistons. totally my fault but it was a hassle. now fast forward to today's roots, with air to water intercoolers, nice packaging, internal bypass that just works well, and makes it so you don't have a ton of drag just driving around off boost. when not in the throttle I couldn't even tell it was on the car. I mean yeah, much newer car too, but after driving it, I feel like there's a reason gm didn't go turbo for boost and just went roots. better for daily driver type cars you don't want to pop the hood on all the time

granted, I'm totally out of the game these days, the new centrifugal for these trucks might be perfect, but in my limited experience, it would be hard for me to believe they are less intrusive than a roots without seeing it.

just don't buy a Edelbrock e-force roots kit, there seems to be something about them. atleast in the corvette application, lots of used ones pop up for sale. don't see any Magnuson kits used. they tend to keep those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jterry76