supercharger or turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Looking to go FI after i build the tranny and motor. just wondering the pro's and con's of each for an 08 yukon denali. The guys at my performance shop(dc performance), told me that turbo would be a bad route cause my rps only go up to 6000. Any input would be appreciated.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo is hands down the best for FI.
a properly sized turbo will spool up very eary and be at full boost by 3500.

saying no to A turbo because of 6k is silly, they obviously know nuthing about sizing a turbo for a daily driver..

A holeset HX35 will be at full spoll by 2200 on a 5.3 with stock compression and will make boost up to 6500 easy. want alil more get the HX40.

You can get them for under 100$ from JY's and rebuild them under 250$...
These are Stock diesal cumins turbos designed to go 200k miles.... not some pos turbonetics or garret.

If you do the leg work and shop properly, you can build your own turbo kit for under 2500. Thats everything but the tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rustyshackleford
Reaction score
not exactly gonna be your average daily driver, bout to beef up the trans then do gears, diff, cf drive shaft, pullys, slight susp drop, then after that im gonna attack the internals before i slap on either a super or turbo, just wondering which i would be able to benefit from most.

and kinda off topic here, just wanted to comment that i took out the third row of seats
and spare tire and got hotchkis front and rear sway bars and it made a world of a difference

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are many pros and cons to boosted motors..

the biggest difference is boost build.. a SC will have boost almost instantaneously when you start the motor.. where as a Turbo builds pressure starting at various RPMs depending on the housing and inlet combinations.. Now dont let that put you down this can work in a great positive for a DD. if you go with a 2,300-2,500 boost turbo you can get better MPG in stop and go as if you keep foot out of it you can easily drive around at under 2,500 and be more economical.. then when you can actually accelerate you would be over 2,500 most likely and then have an extra power when it is actually usable..

this is how my friends T70 LS6 '93 RX7 is set up. makes 450 before boost at 2,900 then 13lbs hits and it is making 750 area. otherwise it would be a horrible DD car..

Now on the other hand a SC has your power all the time. as long as the drive belt is not broken.. those days equal FAIL..

Personally i would say a turbo is a more usable application for the higher HP application.. adn a dd traffic car.. also if you want to upgrade the size of the turbo for a substantial increase at a later date after the internals have been upgraded you have one part "the turbo" to upgrade.. where a SC you can add a smaller pulley to make the SC rpms higher and generate higher boost.. but after that you are close to the limits of upgrades..

Turbos have alot more combinations for a custom set up.. you have 3 variables with the turbo.. Inlet better known as the compression housing, then the Turbine housing "exhaust side", then you have the turbine internals.. dual variable vein style. single, progressive mix.. these in various combinations and sized can yield amazing amounts of power gain from a simple 25 hp gain on small motors to 1,000+ gains..

so the biggest decision is. do you plan to make crazy power with the option to upgrade and deal with power generation at 2,000+rpm or do you want a moderate limited future upgradeable power added that makes power 24/7..

PS there is a guy "cant recall his name" on this forum with a turbo tahoe that is a very impressive setup...

hop that helps.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go buy yourself a Magnacharger TVS1900 and be happy. If you really want bigger, run the TVS2300.

Just bolts on in a matter of hours and you roll out. Simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar