supercharger or turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are talking forged internals. I think "reliability" went out the window as soon as you broke that motor apart. So, with that said... twin turbo it.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
single turbo, build engine to handle upwards of 20psi and you WONT regret it.

Run it at a modest 7-12psi, This on a Properly sized (think small) turbo will give you HUGE numbers and a good torque curve. Makin max boost as early as 2k.
None of this wait till 5k to start makin power BS.
It will fall off over 6k, but as you said your makin a DD with occasional race.
So make it the best for street performance. Tons of instant boost off idle.

Given the engine is forged and can handle 20, you have ALOT of room to grow.

It will be WAY more than you currently think you want.

Trick to makin good useable Turbo power on the street is not going overkill on turbo size and power..
To big and boost comes on real hard and late, resulting in severe traction issues at speed.
To small and its full boost at idle and falls off at 4k.
You want 2-6.5k at 12psi performance. This will last forever and make damn good power..

Build ya boost low and long. with moderate power, think 70% of what the Trans can hold..

Some ppl will ask "why build boost so low with a Turbo? why not just SC?" answer is simple, the cost.

You can be Turn key turbo for under 3k, where as Sc is a instal 5.5-6.9k, this is with all new parts for either system.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

1200$ turbo kit on PT.net

Last edited:

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blower...

+1. Theads like this trip me out. Its a very nice(luxury in some cases)6000 pound truck not a race car! Yes, more power is always better. I would never even cross my mind to turbo my tahoe. A supercharger kit is a direct bolt-on without tearing into your engine. You can do it in a day,comes with a tune and keeps most of your reliability with great drivability. No wastegates to mess with, no boost controllers, no expensive custom made turbo piping taking up room, no fuel system upgrades, ect. When you start doing custom mods your reliability and money goes right out the window. It would prob cost 15,000 to build a 5.3 and turbo it correctly. Yea you could do it cheaper and have lots more problems. A decent turbo kit starts a 6000 like the one from hp performance without any options(same price a supercharger). You willnot benefit with the turbo over a supercharger with a stock internal engine b/c of the higher compression in n/a engines. Supercharged engines are easier to drive with a flatter torque curve. You do not have to spoil up a supercharger for max power, just hit the gas and go. Just my opinion. Look at jennaBear post above, they do this stuff for a living and from what I read are good at it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rustyshackleford
Reaction score
you make a good argument, but building the motor to handle the turbo is half the fun, sure you might not be able to afford anything for a while but thats the price we pay for this addiction, haha sometimes i choose cigs and gas over groceries, benefit of no kids. and heres one im sure youve all heard

spending money I dont have on parts I dont need to impress people I dont know

and btw, to me, its a race car, you can even fold in the mirrors for that bugatti-like aero-dynamic feel ha

Last edited:

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you make a good argument, but building the motor to handle the turbo is half the fun, sure you might not be able to afford anything for a while but thats the price we pay for this addiction, haha sometimes i choose cigs and gas over groceries, benefit of no kids. and heres one im sure youve all heard

spending money I dont have on parts I dont need to impress people I dont know

and btw, to me, its a race car, you can even fold in the mirrors for that bugatti-like aero-dynamic feel ha
OK so I admit it, I'm alittle jealous. :hail: There is nothing more I like doing on my free time than building cars. I have 3 kids now and my toys are getting down to slim to none. I have never been brave enough to tare apart a new vehicle to build it. I always wait until they get a few miles and years on it.

OP
OP
rustyshackleford
Reaction score
dont be too jealous, i got 88,000 miles outta her before i went ahead and voided the warranty, glad i did too, cause these things arent built as well as i like to pretend, ive had every single door handle break loose 2-3 times each

OP
OP
rustyshackleford
Reaction score
talked to the guys at the shop today, i think the supercharger won this round, the simplicity, price, and reliability are what did it for me, plus that neat little whine haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019