Suggest weight oil and aftermarket service ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering about the oils called for in the owner's manual. My 2015 Tahoe LT calls for a 0W/20 weight oil. I currently use Mobil or Pennzoil and I was wondering what the PPV models have as suggested motor oil ? Any opinions welcome !

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering about the oils called for in the owner's manual. My 2015 Tahoe LT calls for a 0W/20 weight oil. I currently use Mobil or Pennzoil and I was wondering what the PPV models have as suggested motor oil ? Any opinions welcome !
no difference in PPV engines.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would just use what is written on your oil cap. I only use 0w20 Mobil 1 and sometime 0w20 AC Delco. You might have a warranty issue if you use a different grade and if GM asks for proof of what oil you are using if you have a major issue with your engine. It already happened to someone I know. I for one would not take that chance.

Some independent garages in my neck of woods will make customers sign off on the paperwork that they agreed to a different grade oil then what is called for on the oil cap.

I put 90K miles on 0w20 [in constant jungle heat and gridlock traffic] so if there was a issue I would have known about it by now. I use zero oil between changes. I plan on putting on another 100K miles with 0w20. I also idle sometimes to keep my Hoe nice and cold.

Denali12

Reaction score
My 2012 6.2L calls for 5W30. I recently sent my wife to pickup oil for an oil change & she came home with 0W-20. Advance Auto swears that's that their computer tells them for my truck. Now I'm seeing a lot of these motors are running 0W-20 as stated above. Did the specs change at some point? I do live in the Florida Keys where it's HOT most of the year, so a thinker oil doesn't make sense to me.. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2012 6.2L calls for 10W30. I recently sent my wife to pickup oil for an oil change & she came home with 0W-20. Advance Auto swears that's that their computer tells them for my truck. Now I'm seeing a lot of these motors are running 0W-20 as stated above. Did the specs change at some point? I do live in the Florida Keys where it's HOT most of the year, so a thinker oil doesn't make sense to me.. Any thoughts on this?

No thoughts but I’ll come change your oil to the recommended grade and look over your truck for free.... if you have a couch for me to sleep on.....

I love the keys, been vacationing down there since early 2000’s...couldn’t get there this year tho.

seriously tho....

They swapped to 0w20 in the 15-up model year... that’s a little thin for your motor imo.... especially it being so hot there and since you’ve prob been running a heavier oil since youve owned it. If you start to hear ticking I would go back to a thicker oil.....

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2012 6.2L calls for 10W30. I recently sent my wife to pickup oil for an oil change & she came home with 0W-20. Advance Auto swears that's that their computer tells them for my truck. Now I'm seeing a lot of these motors are running 0W-20 as stated above. Did the specs change at some point? I do live in the Florida Keys where it's HOT most of the year, so a thinker oil doesn't make sense to me.. Any thoughts on this?

For the 2015+ 0w20 works just fine. Works perfectly also in the 2015+ PPV Tahoe as spoke to a Deputy recently in Broward County who has one. They constantly idle also in the jungle heat.

As far as your 2012 goes I would not use 0w20. Just keep using what you have been using.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157