Suburban 2500 transmission fluid clear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going with @Big Mama on this. Sounds like an additive. The additive could be green in color or even blue. Red and Blue make Green.

I think it is yellow and blue makes green. ;)

There are green transmission fluids on the market, some premium brands, so maybe the previous owner just flushed and went to something like that Castrol stuff.

Some people use things in their trucks thinking it is better than stock.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think it is yellow and blue makes green. ;)

There are green transmission fluids on the market, some premium brands, so maybe the previous owner just flushed and went to something like that Castrol stuff.

Some people use things in their trucks thinking it is better than stock.

Yep, had my color wheel mixed up. Thanks.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also never seen the fluid get lighter. It starts off red/pink, then gets darker as it ages.

Whatever it is, I'd get it the hell out ASAP, and do a full flush. I flush mine regularly, at 207k and the trans still shifts/operates perfectly.

Transmission flush is actually the only time my trucks cast a shadow in dealerships. Cheap insurance. Last one I did was $250.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also never seen the fluid get lighter. It starts off red/pink, then gets darker as it ages.

Whatever it is, I'd get it the hell out ASAP, and do a full flush. I flush mine regularly, at 207k and the trans still shifts/operates perfectly.

Transmission flush is actually the only time my trucks cast a shadow in dealerships. Cheap insurance. Last one I did was $250.

I was under the impression, for a long time, GM didn't recommend transmission flushes, saying drain and filter change only. Did that change recently?

OP
OP
D

DRayson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

It’s already scheduled, hoping I don’t have issues afterwards. Father in-law is a dealer tech, he better not charge me full price

we don’t have a flushing machine at my work or I’d do it

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It’s already scheduled, hoping I don’t have issues afterwards. Father in-law is a dealer tech, he better not charge me full price

That father in-law tech may not have anything to do with the pricing but he likely can help out. Has he helped with that before?

OP
OP
D

DRayson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That father in-law tech may not have anything to do with the pricing but he likely can help out. Has he helped with that before?

I put a laughing emoji but it didn’t go through, we are very close. I’ll get the fluid and he will do it after customer work is done. Then I’ll get him a gift card as a thank you.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert

Your vehicle comes from the factory with a "flushing machine", Remove upper trans line to radiator, insert 3/8 plastic tubing into the radiator fitting and place in bucket, Start vehicle ie' "flushing machine" and run until bubbles are seen in tubing, Ign off and add 4qts, Start flushing machine again and run until you see bubbles, Ign off and add 4qts, Start flushing machine again and run until you see bubbles , Ign off and add 4qts, Start eng and run until clean red fluid is dispensed from tube. Ign off, Reconnect upper trans line to radiator and top off fluid level, "dont overfill" the trans should be at op temp on level ground to accurately "top off" fluid. As to the "PITA" trans filter, Based upon your description of "clear fluid" i would guess that someone has allready changed the filter when they replaced the factory fluid? Do the fasteners on the trans pan show evidence of recent removal? if your conscience will allow the filter to be "assumed replaced" you are done. If the trans responds well to the new fluid than in 30k miles drop the pan and see how things look. You just bought the vehicle, If you drop the pan now and find debris are you ready to rework the trans? If not the above method will give you piece of mind that the fluid is OEM, Clean and give the trans its best shot of longevity. Just my 02 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879