Suburban 2500 transmission fluid clear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRayson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased a 2013 2500 suburban and although the transmission fluid doesn’t appear “dirty” or “burnt” it is an almost clear “pale” green color. I can not find anything on this, and the dealer claims they didn’t have the transmission fluid flushed.

I already have it scheduled to get another flush to get dex 6 back in there, not that I like the idea of flushing the transmission AGAIN.. let alone “flushing” it at all with 124k.. but I’m afraid if I leave this clear fluid in that I will start to get transmission shifting issues. It shifts fine now though.

has anyone seen fluid other than dex 6 in a 6L90 trans?

HD_LS

Reaction score
The Red color in transmission fluid is just a dye. It does fade away with time and temperature. Some fluid manufacturers may use dyes that are less permanent than others.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be some type of additive changing the color? Does it have the look of water in it like when your oil has water? Good call on the flush if it’s shifting well. I had it done at 110k no issues.

OP
OP
D

DRayson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Red color in transmission fluid is just a dye. It does fade away with time and temperature. Some fluid manufacturers may use dyes that are less permanent than others.

I work as an automotive mechanic for the past 9 years, and have never seen gm transmission fluid be anything but red -> dark red/ brown depending on condition. Just find it odd that it is so clear, almost fresh motor oil colored on the dipstick. But has a green tint when put on a paper towel, with a faint gear oil like smell.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I work as an automotive mechanic for the past 9 years, and have never seen gm transmission fluid be anything but red -> dark red/ brown depending on condition. Just find it odd that it is so clear, almost fresh motor oil colored on the dipstick. But has a green tint when put on a paper towel, with a faint gear oil like smell.
Think maybe someone added gear oil to cover up a shifting issue--since it's thicker then trans fluid.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased a 2013 2500 suburban and although the transmission fluid doesn’t appear “dirty” or “burnt” it is an almost clear “pale” green color. I can not find anything on this, and the dealer claims they didn’t have the transmission fluid flushed.

I already have it scheduled to get another flush to get dex 6 back in there, not that I like the idea of flushing the transmission AGAIN.. let alone “flushing” it at all with 124k.. but I’m afraid if I leave this clear fluid in that I will start to get transmission shifting issues. It shifts fine now though.

has anyone seen fluid other than dex 6 in a 6L90 trans?

Well congratulations on the 2500, maybe the only truck I would swap out to at this point. I hope the flush goes well and you have endless trouble free miles ahead.

OP
OP
D

DRayson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well congratulations on the 2500, maybe the only truck I would swap out to at this point. I hope the flush goes well and you have endless trouble free miles ahead.

it’s replacing my 08 2 door 2500 Silverado to keep from running two vehicles when we take the boat out. Loving it so far, fingers crossed I don’t regret the flush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM