Stumble/Hesitation AND stalling continuation thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread since the thread I started the conversation in was marked as solved.

I have a rough idle on my '10 Avalanche as well. Been battling it for a long time now with no resolution. No codes, no stalls, but it sure feels like it's just a smidge from stalling when I'm sitting at a light. I've also experienced an issue that I think might be the same as your "spike in RPM when coming to a stop." There have been times when coming to a stop, right before finally stopping, where it seems like the truck tries to accelerate instead of decelerate. I haven't actually noticed the RPM's when it happens, but it makes sense. I do know it scared the ever living snot out of my teenager as he's learning to drive.

Think I'm gonna look into swapping out the fuel pump and cross my fingers that will fix it. I've got 210k miles and as far as I know, the fuel pump is original to the truck.

btw, here is a video of my RPM gauge I took yesterday while sitting at a light. You can see it jumping around as I just sit there.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished testing fuel pressure with an actual pressure gauge. Idle pressure stayed right on 46 the entire time. Even as the truck stuttered, the pressure didn't budge at all. Dead on the whole time.

I did notice something strange though. I was doing this test at night, and I had my door open as I was watching the gauge through the windshield. When it would stutter bad, the dome lights would slightly dim. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to notice. Could this stem from some sort of electrical issue or is that what will happen if the truck actually stalls out?

Also, before I did the test, I checked all my plug wires. One of them did seem loose so I pulled it off and reseated it til I heard and felt the click. It came off pretty easily so it could have very well could have been loose. However, it didn't seem to have any effect on the stutter since it still did it after I reseated the boot.

One more thing I want to mention. I did pull the throttle body this past weekend and clean it. It really wasn't that dirty at all.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the fuel pressure is good I would move on to other possible causes, maf, throttle body, injectors, coil packs.
but start with the basics, battery, battery cables, grounds
you could do a injector service or just keep putting in injector cleaner in for a few tank fulls, clean the maf and throttle body, plugs & wires.
could be several things, narrowing it down may be difficult.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How old are the ignition components? Like @Doubeleive said, clean the MAF and since you pulled the throttle body, was it to fix this problem or the problem started after? Cleaners and instructions at parts store and watch you tube videos. Check this link out: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevro...e7e5cd24ed24635&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=3&at_tot=4

Did you have any grounds undone when removed the throttle body. Seems that there is on ground area at back of block, I think passenger side, that is a source of problems at times.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lights dimming could stem from the RPMs dropping enough for the alternator's output to drop. Or, it could signal another problem such as a bad ground. As Wes says, check the integrity of this battery cables and clean all of the grounds in the engine compartment. It's a 30 minute job and solves many gremlin-like issues.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lights dimming could stem from the RPMs dropping enough for the alternator's output to drop. Or, it could signal another problem such as a bad ground. As Wes says, check the integrity of this battery cables and clean all of the grounds in the engine compartment. It's a 30 minute job and solves many gremlin-like issues.
Is there a sticky with all of the grounds to check? Even though I might sound like I know what I'm doing, I'm just a Youtube mechanic...meaning I only know what I have learned from these forums and Youtube. :happy175:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

full

full

full

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread since the thread I started the conversation in was marked as solved.

I have a rough idle on my '10 Avalanche as well. Been battling it for a long time now with no resolution. No codes, no stalls, but it sure feels like it's just a smidge from stalling when I'm sitting at a light. I've also experienced an issue that I think might be the same as your "spike in RPM when coming to a stop." There have been times when coming to a stop, right before finally stopping, where it seems like the truck tries to accelerate instead of decelerate. I haven't actually noticed the RPM's when it happens, but it makes sense. I do know it scared the ever living snot out of my teenager as he's learning to drive.

Think I'm gonna look into swapping out the fuel pump and cross my fingers that will fix it. I've got 210k miles and as far as I know, the fuel pump is original to the truck.

btw, here is a video of my RPM gauge I took yesterday while sitting at a light. You can see it jumping around as I just sit there.
RPMs coming up some right before you stop is the transmission shifting into 1st. BlackBear raises our idle RPMs as a matter of course when he tunes an engine because some motors have a tendency to stall or are close to it. GM of course dropped the idle to bare minimum to please uncle sam. They did this to my 2006 Montana too, it idled way low and often seemed like it was about to stall but never did. Never noticed it with the Yukon.

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've checked a couple of the easier to reach grounds and they all seem fine. The worst one had some dust on it. No rust, no corrosion, no nothing, and all tightened down well.

Unfortunately I had an unexpected hospital stay and am not supposed to do any strenuous activity for quite a while. So not sure when I'll get back to running this thing down. I did throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in with my last fill up just to try something.

But it still idles like a coughing dog. Maybe it's meant to idle that low, but it's just so damn annoying.

jeremiahm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been fighting issues for several weeks with clunks, shifts, stalls, CEL's for crank and cam sensors (both new), hard stumble at stops (similar to yours). I finally traced it down to the wire bundle going to cam sensor and on to crank sensor. It was run between the PS lines and was chafing on the metal. Crank sensor was starting to ground out on the PS hard line! I temped it with electrical tape and runs perfect now. Now to the point:

I have always the hard stumble at stops and as part of trying to figure out this issue I put a bottle of LubeGard Transmission Protectant (10oz bottle) based on other posts. Made a huge difference. Seems part of the stumble is low RPM, but the bigger potential issue is torque converter shutter which the LubeGard helps. I saw a huge difference, stops are pretty easy now, still a bit of shutter/stumble, but not much.

My 2 cents, and doesn't count as "strenuous activity". Hope it helps.

Jeremiah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094