Strange wet spot in carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be willing to be bet either your sunroof drain is not connected properly and it’s running down the a pillar and pooling in the drivers footwell area. Or the onstar shark fin antenna above the drivers seat has a bad gasket seal in between the antenna base and the roof, it and it’s following the same path down the a pillar.

V327839

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have hydro boost brakes? Wet floor near pedals can be power steering fluid leaking from brake pedal lever down firewall. Just an idea.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
I’d be willing to be bet either your sunroof drain is not connected properly and it’s running down the a pillar and pooling in the drivers footwell area. Or the onstar shark fin antenna above the drivers seat has a bad gasket seal in between the antenna base and the roof, it and it’s following the same path down the a pillar.
If it has a sunroof I agree that should be the first place to check but I’d start with having it checked to see if it is simply clogged. My old 02 Tahoe would drop from the roof center console into the cup holder.

calsdad

Reaction score
I had a problem with water building up in the footwell of my 2003 Suburban when I had it (it ended up being one of the reasons I got rid of it) At first I thought it was from snow being tracked into the truck during winter - because that seemed to be the connection. But then it started happening during the warm months. Truck did not have a sunroof - so it wasn't that. The closest I got to diagnosing it was that it seemed to coming from the firewall or rain gutter area below the windshield. Tried to flood the area a few times with a hose to see if I could catch the leak - but nothing. The worst part was - it didn't seem to happen all the time.

There was another bad side effect though from the water gettting in: it kept corroding the air bag module under the front seat. You would think "how the hell would this happen?" as the module is located above the footwell level. I had the module replaced once at a shop - to the tune of something like $700. I just sort of shrugged that off - as the snow getting inside the truck and under the seat or something.

Then it happened again a couple of years later. This time I was like "WTF". Turned out - the culprit seemed to be that the rug underlayment - that brownish jute or whatever they call it - was acting like big sponge and sucking up the water that was getting into the footwell. Then it just migrated the water up to under the seat - and because the rug and underlayment went OVER the module - the module was just sitting there in a saturated wet environment - like all the time. Eventually it got into the connector and corroded the whole thing to the point where the module malfunctioned.

So the second time I replaced the module myelf and cut away all the rug and underlayment from around the module so it wouldn't be covered over any more.

Given that experience - if you're getting a wet spot in that footwell - I would check carefully just how far the moisture is migrating under the rugs. You might be surprised how far it's going.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, apparently, replacing the windshield by the person who knows, what he's doing, fixed it. Truck been outside through showers and now days of snow.
I thought after the first replacement he stripped everything and water tested for 1 1/2 hours? So that guy not only failed at replacing the windshield but he also failed at water testing? WTF?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645