STP "direct injection" system cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this stuff?

Direct Injection Fuel Injector Cleaner | STP.com

First time I've seen a product like this aimed directly at us GDI owners. I'm kind of curious how it works without being aspirated into the intake somehow. If you just put it in the tank how the hell does it reach the valves and such?

I don't normally buy this crap but I'm trying to do whatever I can to avoid GDI issues. I have a catch can installed that fills up every 1500 miles or so (I do a lot of short trips in cold weather). Figured I'd see if anyone has used this. I had very good luck with Chevron Techron stuff in my 08 Crown Vic so I'm not a total skeptic.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't reach the valves, it's just made to clean the injectors. Not sure it's any better than the Techron, or Berrymans, or Seafoam, etc.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just buy the .99 cent crap at walmart and throw it in all my vehicles at least every couple months, as to if it does anything or not, who knows but no sense in paying $5.00 when the .99 cent crap has the same ingredients (read the labels).

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Not going to help a lot with valves, really, since the DI system sprays the fuel directly into the cylinder. I used this on my truck when I bought it back in August and have another bottle to use on the Suburban when ever I get around to it...

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05319-Intake-Valve-Cleaner/dp/B00PHNQKR2

When I used it on the truck, I did get some black smoke and stuff and I guess it runs a bit better/smoother. Not that it had any running issues to begin with, really. It's not the end-all, of course, but I'll keep on shooting a can of that stuff into the intake every now and then, just in case. As well as Techron in the tank a couple of times a year.

Last edited:

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for valves...the GM TOP ENGINE clean would be my choice, or better yet...JUST WATER.

i have used this on several older vehicles with slight ticks and cleans up the carbon very well...not sure who well the cats will like it, but to date even on newer cars i have not had any issues that i can speak of.

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Not going to help a lot with valves, really, since the DI system sprays the fuel directly into the cylinder. I used this on my truck when I bought it back in August and have another bottle to use on the Suburban when ever I get around to it...

When I used it on the truck, I did get some black smoke and stuff and I guess it runs a bit better/smoother. Not that it had any running issues to begin with, really. It's not the end-all, of course, but I'll keep on shooting a can of that stuff into the intake every now and then, just in case. As well as Techron in the tank a couple of times a year.

I saw this CRC stuff while researching the original stuff I posted. Looks like the CRC would be way more effective and I'm going to try it. Probably won't hurt.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm using the CRC product on a 10K miles recurring basis as well as the throttle body cleaner.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ha! Studabaker Tested Products, a member of the Clorox Companies.

d7bb117ef0e544d5ea334880580e75bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RobDenali

Reaction score
I always used seafoam but I was convinced to try Berrymans and I will never go back to anything else . So easy and the PEA really cleans all the carbon out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy