Stinky at Cold and Warm Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 Suburban stock with 100k miles.
for the last 2 years truck stinks at startup.
doesnt matter cold or already warmed up start.
Smells like raw fuel.
got DI system cleaned, check and replace evap canister, checked for leak, look at fuel tables at an independent (unless he was not qualified and pretending to do so)
no engine light
all OX sensors have been replaced with oem new ones

I dont kjnow what to do anymore!

Anyone else?

Could it be cats even with no light on or since it smells like raw fuel it would be injectors related?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its coming exclusivly from the tail pipe, i have checked everywhere

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think you have catalytic converter codes in your future. Or, fuel pressure regulator problems.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its coming exclusivly from the tail pipe, i have checked everywhere
Do you smell it inside the vehicle?

I smell it ONLY outside the vehicle. That is even with the climate control on all the time on outside air. Some mornings when it is cold out it smells extremely strong. This morning was one of those days here in New York.

I am not concerned with it. Has been doing that since I bought it back in 2016 brand new. I figured DI has something to do with it. I have almost 120K miles on it now.

BTW I am living in a hotel right now and I smell the same thing from other late model vehicles in the AM.

Can not worry about everything.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you but its crazy stinky in my garage more than any other full size truck I ever had, I bet you are right DI or the nature of these trucks...
Not impressed but oh well

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so thank you I am not crazy. I wonder if some ECU remapping could change that.
an exhaust shop told me they dont think its underperforming cats as if it was it would smell all the time. I am not sure about that.
I just did about everything you could do maintenance wise.
I work around heavy equipment and the big flat beds with the big lazy v8 on them smell way less than my little suburban
I just dont get it
Maybe someone know a ECU Tuning guru who could educate us on the nature of the bad stink?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz