Warm Start Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mcsc1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hate you are having this problem but you just said something funny to me. You just said, "I hate throwing parts", but you initial post lists a bunch of parts. Sometimes these rigs just drain the wallet.
You’re telling me man! I thought I had the problem solved. Everything I’ve seen and videos similar to mind show the fuel pump or injectors. Replaced those and still have the issue.

OP
OP
M

mcsc1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably not this, but think about checking it to rule it out: read the alcohol content of the fuel. If you have a flex fuel engine and are not running E85, and the alcohol content reads more than 10%, reset it. That will also reset the LTFTs (which I see you've already done).

Found this on another thread. Anyone think this could be an issue I should check?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your fuel trims would show a very rich condition on both banks and it would run like poo all the time, probably. But it's not a bad idea to look at what the scanner reports and reset the alcohol content, if not using more than E10 fuel.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you changed the injectors already? the only cheap way I can think of to check the injector is like said earlier, swap it another spot and see if that fuel smelling plug follows it.

do you have the old injectors around still? maybe could clean one and swap it in as a test? only thing I can think of to cause a injector to spray more than the ecm says to it a short to ground somewhere in a harness? I believe they are switched grounds and constant power?

OP
OP
M

mcsc1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so you changed the injectors already? the only cheap way I can think of to check the injector is like said earlier, swap it another spot and see if that fuel smelling plug follows it.

do you have the old injectors around still? maybe could clean one and swap it in as a test? only thing I can think of to cause a injector to spray more than the ecm says to it a short to ground somewhere in a harness? I believe they are switched grounds and constant power?
It’s possible and I’m unsure how to go about finding the ground in the harness. But the injectors are warrantied, I can get another through that warranty.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fuel trims might say something. You can use a noid light to see if the injectors are being pulsed. An injector balance test, using a bi-directional scanner, would show an injector that wasn't working properly (too much, too little fuel metered). Neither of those tests, however, would tell you if the ECM was pulsing them properly.

Last edited:

Timee

Reaction score
either maf or map pulls double duty, I think it's the maf, after 160k miles they are always suspect in my book, they can just go goofy after that
I have a 2009 Tahoe 5.3 2wd with 189,000 and I just brought it to my mechanic to change a spark plug and he only replaced one and said the others are fine but about 2 weeks later im getting a cyl 4 misfire but engine seems to run perfectly besides a little rough at idle. I dont have a spare maf sensor but if I unplug it and the engine light disappears does that mean its the sensor?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Tahoe 5.3 2wd with 189,000 and I just brought it to my mechanic to change a spark plug and he only replaced one and said the others are fine but about 2 weeks later im getting a cyl 4 misfire but engine seems to run perfectly besides a little rough at idle. I dont have a spare maf sensor but if I unplug it and the engine light disappears does that mean its the sensor?
One spark plug, really! :banghead:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no telling without getting some readings on it with a scanner, when it is unplugged the vehicle runs in a default mode. I can say that after 160k the maf are known to/or can go goofy and can cause all kinds of problems. just throwing parts at it is a gamble, sometimes you win and sometimes you dont.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts