Stiffening up suspension with little/no drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the viking atomic sells are also for 2.5" ID springs. they would need a larger spring seat to use 4-5-6" diameter springs
I asked him how much preload am i supposed to set them up with, if he says crank it on down, i'll give it a try...the 900lb are only like 60 bux each i'm going to grab them and go for it
need to set a couple of bolts in the work bench for setting the preload up....kinda pain in the ass tightening the thin jam nut up on truck 1/8th of a turn at a time

Been watching your post and I was starting to get interested myself with the coil overs and how the springs are too weak. I started searching around myself and found this YouTube video:

Guy has 1200lb Hyperco springs but used the QA1 DS401 coil over instead since the spring is 8", so not sure if its compatible to the 403 that you have.

Here's there catalog with all the compatible springs. The 1200lb spring only comes in the 8": https://www.hypercoils.com/hyperco-catalog/

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I'll take a look.
My other car got rear ended last week so I'm trying to keep yukon up and moving in between checking stuff.

I did pull the stock shock back out today, put in the mounts and measured eye to eye where I want center of hub to be (1 inch down from where I was, or 17" to fender) and got 13-3/4. The shock I have is recommended for 12-1/2 to 13-1/4...but I think it will be fine, will just have a little more compression.

I ordered the 900lb springs, and they came in ,no more red :(
Overall length of the shocks is 15" minus 13-3/4=1-1/4 of compression at ride height ~or about 1100lbs. I've weight my truck with me in it @5900lbs. For the purpose of just making sure it doesn't hit the ground again I'm assuming 3000lbs over the front axle. Minus the 1100, I need to preload about 1000lbs (or an inch) on each coilover

I will probably go over to about 1-1/2 of preload as it's easier to unload it then it is to tighten the jam nut on truck.
20180531_154620.jpg 20180531_154647.jpg 20180531_154612.jpg

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they in...and its lower :lol:

going to ride around a few days and see how much more it settles, Im still back and forth about how low i want it to be, I went ahead and pulled the spacer out from under the rear spring too, not that i mind it being low but function>form lately - as long as it handles better i dont really care what height it is.

At this point i can either swap the spindles back out and use these coilovers which would be "free" and put me about back to where I was with just the spindles but with a better shock/spring - would just take a couple hours, Id need to go get it aligned again asap, etc

get longer shock/spring - easy to swap but more $$

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow..so after getting the new springs it's still too low? How you think it is now?

Yeah if the coilovers alone will net the right drop, probably makes sense to put the stock spindles in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well its not necessarily the springs... the shocks have a height they like to sit at. i could preload the springs a whole bunch and it would sit where i want but the weight of the truck wouldnt compress them at all and there'd be no travel "up" travel.

it's probably sitting about 4/4 drop now. 32" tire (275 55 20) is about an inch from the fender height in the front, 2.5" in the back (it may settle a little more)

driver side was sitting a little lower (me+gas on that side) just cranked another 3/8" on the spring for that side to hopefully pick it up and even it out.

And I pulled the valve covers and rocker arms to upgrade the trunions. Not many pics was messy, covered in assembly lube most the time. The CHE trunion upgrade is very nice everything went back together great

20180602_131451.jpg 20180602_110016.jpg 20180602_131445.jpg

Last edited:

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck looks great like that. So is this after settling a bit? Is it much stiffer now? That's been my gripe with my truck, find it too soft, especially on the highway. Also is the truck aligned or have a camber kit?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjustable shocks.... anything above 13-14 clicks on the rear and its bouncy as hell, where it's set now as rough as i like driving it daily. way more responsive than stock spring/shock

I'm at 8 clicks front and rear right now, might go 1-2 more up front it still feels kind of "lazy" to me . Back I need to do free of and prob go back down to 7...haven't bottomed out with 8 but it's not as comfy

hasnt been aligned yet, debating on whether i want to leave it this low or not, i'm diggin it tho, miss my lowered truck!
i think thats part of why it looked so low to me with the tires even with the fender becuase of the camber pulled way in

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, looks great.
Stance is very similar to mine.

How'd the trunion install go? Time wise, did it take a lot of time?

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, looks great.
Stance is very similar to mine.

How'd the trunion install go? Time wise, did it take a lot of time?

trunions werent bad, took prob 3 hrs start to finish hustlin through it. thought there was going to be more to pulling the valve covers but only had to pull the coils/brackets. one of the gaskets stretched out, luckily i didnt replace them when i tore engine down so i had an extra set handy :cool:. I also wanted to take a look at the rocker to valve patterns as i kinda just went with what everyone said and its been sitting in the back of my mind that maybe i should have checked pushrod length but it was all good. LS rockers just get torqued down to 22ft lbs makes life a lot easier.
the CHE are machined to slide into the rocker bodies no pressing anything back in. i have a cheap harbor freight hand crank press (?) not sure what the real name is, but it made quick work of removing the stock needle bearings. then its just new trunion, put on a bushing, retaining clip, slide it in rocker body, bushing on other side, retaining clip on the other side

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212