Stiffening up suspension with little/no drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, talked it over with him.. i actually just email him to see how much preload i should be setting them at - they bind about 5" so i dont think any more than i did would work. I wait to hear what he comes back with but he seemed to think it would be OK for 2" of drop when we talked before

without the drop spindles these would have probably have been a solid 3.5-4" drop by themselves
thats what i'll be looking at 1100-1200lbs springs, only off the shelf ive seen them in is 12" long

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did do *something* productive today...

Flipped the rear shocks :D

Driverside was getting rubbed by the parking brake cable, passenger side was rear close the the sway bar.
Found out it doesn't matter which way I mount these shocks flipping them frees up some space.

20180527_190149.jpg 20180527_181333.jpg 20180527_190134.jpg

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, talked it over with him.. i actually just email him to see how much preload i should be setting them at - they bind about 5" so i dont think any more than i did would work. I wait to hear what he comes back with but he seemed to think it would be OK for 2" of drop when we talked before

without the drop spindles these would have probably have been a solid 3.5-4" drop by themselves
thats what i'll be looking at 1100-1200lbs springs, only off the shelf ive seen them in is 12" long

That was quite a bit more than 2".
Are you sure they're the correct length coil-over?

I did do *something* productive today...

Flipped the rear shocks :D

Driverside was getting rubbed by the parking brake cable, passenger side was rear close the the sway bar.
Found out it doesn't matter which way I mount these shocks flipping them frees up some space.

View attachment 200325 View attachment 200326 View attachment 200327

That's a great idea.
Wow, that's crazy. It actually wore some of the material away? Are the bodies aluminum?
My drivers side rubs on the shock as well but hasn't worn through like on yours.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol yea, I'm 2x checking every thing and going over it with richard(atomic) seems weird measurement from center of hub to fender is 18" now, which he thinks is a 4"drop so I dont know.

Yea the rubbing sucks, it's not as bad as it looks she shocks are just polished so it shows horribly

And my service traction/abs/etc light is on now.. gotta crawl back under make sure I didn't pull a speed sensor or something on accident

Took a few picture to try and show the depth yesterday but :
20180527_181330.jpg

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ran out (in the pouring rain :) ) mine measures 16" from center of hub to fender. I'm on 17s w/275/60 tires which is a 30" tall tire.
What size tire are you using?

I think the most accurate way to measure is eye to eye on the mounts at ride height.

Ooh yes, you are correct it certainly looks worse than it looked in the first shot.

Mine was set off too, it turned out to be my passenger rear sensor was unplugged.

I see, its worn but as bad. It did rub a little material away huh?

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
275 55 20 - 32" tire, center to fender on mine is 18.5"/18.25. I really only want to go down another inch or so. we'll get it figured out
fender gap on mine still looks pretty big, but it's only about 3"
he's saying he usually sees stock fender height at 22" center to fender. I may have to put the mounts all on, put the tire back on and lay it out to what height I want and then order, which would suck but i still need heavy spring

the shock I have is only like 3/4" shorter than the stock shock/spring. but with the 800lb/inch spring i'd have to preload it to under 7" (from 10" ie 2400lbs :eek:) and that only leaves me 2" of compression left, which is probably fine but not really ideal.

the 900lb/in spring from hyperco to preload 2400lbs i would need to compress to a little under 8", that might be the easiest/cheapest to get something in there in the short term .
still trying to find heavier springs on the shelf, not goin so well

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll get it figured for sure. What total drop are you going for?

Ahh, the joys of modifying our rides haha. Put it on take it off, put it on, take it off again and again and again and again,,,,,,,,,

You should be ok but, like you said not ideal.
Is it that the coils aren't available for that specific shock or just not available at all?

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
arent available, cant find much over 800-900 lb/inch. these coil overs use a 2.5" ID spring, 10" long other shocks use a 12" which i cant find anything heavier either

not very popular to put coil overs on something this heavy it looks like

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what makes me a little nervous.
I'm curious to know what coil-overs others are using. I believe Richard said Vikings are popular, I was looking at Ride Tech. I'm going to have to look around to see who has the most options.

Is it the body size of your shocks which doesn't have many options?

I agree. I've seen more and more pickups converting but, not many full size SUVs.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the viking atomic sells are also for 2.5" ID springs. they would need a larger spring seat to use 4-5-6" diameter springs
I asked him how much preload am i supposed to set them up with, if he says crank it on down, i'll give it a try...the 900lb are only like 60 bux each i'm going to grab them and go for it
need to set a couple of bolts in the work bench for setting the preload up....kinda pain in the ass tightening the thin jam nut up on truck 1/8th of a turn at a time

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne