Lowered suspension still has a lean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both coils are brand new 1” maxtrac drop springs.

But one could be defective. You could swap the strut assemblies left-to-right to test, but you've already dickered with the different amounts of rings between the two. If you have it in you to put them both back even, reassemble and test, it might be worth it just to rule that out.

If I cut the tube any more the sway bar will contact the lower control arm.

Lol

img_4456-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
C

Carp0331

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I might go try to make my mounts look like that !

It was driver low with the bilsteins so I doubt it’s the belltech.

I’m going to pull 1 more ring off for a .5” drop and I just order new links. These were over torqued and are smushed. Maybe with a new set torqued to spec it will help.

I’m assuming the sway bar only needs like a 1/8” gap between it and the lower control arm?

OP
OP
C

Carp0331

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the morning I’m going to loosen all the control arms and cycle the suspension just to see if that makes a difference.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might go try to make my mounts look like that !

Mine is dropped 3.5" in the front with Belltech struts and McGaughy knuckles. Maybe at the most an 1/8" difference left-to-right with one 1/4" ring on the driver side strut (1/2" lift) and none on the passenger side strut. My crazy short end links got the sway bar really flat/parallel with the frame. I had to relocate the sway bar mounts on the frame back about an inch. I drive it like a Miata and have no contact anywhere other than the front tires rubbing the fender liner and inner fenders at times. The sway bar rests on the lower arms when I pick the Tahoe up on the lift and the front suspension droops. But that doesn't hurt anything other than rubbing the paint off the bar.

It was driver low with the bilsteins so I doubt it’s the belltech.

I meant with the MaxTrac coils. Height differences will happen if one coil isn't seated properly, but it they look correct on your pics. Remember that, due to the geometry, any discrepancy is doubled. A spring not seated properly and sitting only 1/2" taller will cause a 1" taller side. So, if you're 1.5" high on one side, something about 3/4" is holding it up.

I’m assuming the sway bar only needs like a 1/8” gap between it and the lower control arm?

It cycles up and down with the arm. So, other than the bushing deflection, it shouldn't contact. If you have the same amount of drop as me, you might need to relocate your bar like I did. With the arc of the sway bar's swing, the holes in it were about 1/2" out of alignment with the holes in the arms. I unbolted the arm from the frame and bolted it to the arm without the end links- just one bushing between the bar and arm. Wherever this pushed the bar back is where I drilled holes and relocated the mounts on the frame. Thankfully, I was still able to bolt them to the original pads on the frame. Barely, but they fit.

Pics and details here:

...And here:

...And finishing here:

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow after 5 years, my truck decided to sit lower on the pass side by just over 3/4”. Or the driver side is magically higher lol. Idk if it happened gradually or what but I haven’t driven the truck in 4 months and just noticed how bad it was recently after I pulled the car cover off to just stare at itIMG_3845.jpegIMG_3846.jpeg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Get some bags on there. It’s a chick magnet but don’t show it off when dropping off the kids at school. All your kids friends will find a way to hitch a ride home with ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ojb226

Latest posts