Steering gear box leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already get to replace the pwr strg pressure hose.

Add to that I see what appears to be a new leak on the strg box. Appears to be from the bottom connection where I believe is the pitman arm. Is there a replaceable seal there? And should I plan on replacing the entire box? Or possibly just a seal?

My Haynes manual makes the gearbox R&R appear not so bad, but I'm unsure if that's really necessary at this point. But it has 230,000 miles so maybe someone would suggest R&R the box anyway?

One leak just seems to lead to another on this truck. Man it keeps me busy. But no car payment, so that's good.

Thoughts on the leak?

Thank you so much.

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you sure it is not the power steering pressure hose, cause I thought mine was leaking in the same way yours is and it turned out to be the hose. And that is after replacing it once already 6 months ago.

OP
OP
N

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you sure it is not the power steering pressure hose, cause I thought mine was leaking in the same way yours is and it turned out to be the hose. And that is after replacing it once already 6 months ago.
No. Not for sure that's not from the hose but I have to take off the shields and look.

My mirror says its the gear box. It just looked really wet at the output shaft area and I sort of assumed the worse.

My pressure line is leaking topside so I am going to R&R that but its not seeping down and over the gear box to create the drips on the frame rail that I see. But maybe the other end of the hose is the culprit.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a seal there but I believe the box would have to be completely disassembled to replace it if I remember correctly. If it has 230k on it though, you're probably better off to replace it since it's likely very worn out anyway.

OP
OP
N

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a seal there but I believe the box would have to be completely disassembled to replace it if I remember correctly. If it has 230k on it though, you're probably better off to replace it since it's likely very worn out anyway.
I removed the under shield and am almost certain it is indeed the gear box itself that's leaking. Wiped it up and will monitor just for sure.

Has anyone done the r&r on one of these? In research the concern is keeping steering wheel from rotating and Pitman arm orientation. Is it actually easier than what I might be thinking? I would put on a new Pittman arm if I do this.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The pitman arm location is easy because there should be 4 fat splines that does not allow you to install any other way. You would have to be 90 degrees off kilter to install wrong. Make sure steering wheel is straight and just tie it down. If you are worried about it, get some rope and tie at wheel and then down to brake pedal. When I ran shops we had the steering wheel lock tool that my alignment man used.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=355413&cc=1373105&jsn=2226

The steering gear box R&R is pretty straight forward, watch you tube, and make sure you get tires off the ground when refilling fluid and turning the wheels back and forth, slowly, to help burp air out of system and then you can drop to ground and start and refill and turn and roadtest.

The seal replacement is a PITA. You do not have to disassemble the whole steering gear. If you choose to do that, remove pitman arm, there will be a snap ring next and then the first of 2 seals that you have to pry out of there, careful not to damage the sides of the housing and the shaft, then a spacer washer and then the second seal that is buried even farther in there and a bigger PITA. Then reverse with the new seal kit: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=990656&cc=1373105&jsn=2224&jsn=2224

If it was me, the gear box would be replaced. Make sure you align the rig soon after.

OP
OP
N

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pitman arm location is easy because there should be 4 fat splines that does not allow you to install any other way. You would have to be 90 degrees off kilter to install wrong. Make sure steering wheel is straight and just tie it down. If you are worried about it, get some rope and tie at wheel and then down to brake pedal. When I ran shops we had the steering wheel lock tool that my alignment man used.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=355413&cc=1373105&jsn=2226

The steering gear box R&R is pretty straight forward, watch you tube, and make sure you get tires off the ground when refilling fluid and turning the wheels back and forth, slowly, to help burp air out of system and then you can drop to ground and start and refill and turn and roadtest.

The seal replacement is a PITA. You do not have to disassemble the whole steering gear. If you choose to do that, remove pitman arm, there will be a snap ring next and then the first of 2 seals that you have to pry out of there, careful not to damage the sides of the housing and the shaft, then a spacer washer and then the second seal that is buried even farther in there and a bigger PITA. Then reverse with the new seal kit: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=990656&cc=1373105&jsn=2224&jsn=2224

If it was me, the gear box would be replaced. Make sure you align the rig soon after.
If it leaks and proves to be the box I will replace it. That will make a new Pittman arm swap easier as well. In 50k+ miles they havent been done and who knows prior life.

Does the wheel have to remain absolutely motionless? I could tie it like suggested but not looking for more issues (fun)....

Would another gear box tighten my steering? Could use improvement.

I will update when I find more. I want to replace anything else as well that would be beneficial at that time .

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No, the steering wheel does not have to remain motionless. You have 90 degrees of leeway each way from centered wheel. Remember, there are 4 fat splines on the pitman arm.

dougo

Reaction score
Did mine a few years ago when ordering the bolt count has to do with the mounting bolts , Getting the pitman are off is tough i cut mine with a grinder , Replaced due to wear , Mine started leaking at 120k so you did good , Get extra fluid to flush system or it will void the warranty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts