'23 down; massive oil leak | suv's don't get lz0's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Future inlaw's, really liked the wife's diesel denali so they bought a pair of them, one in a pickup and one in a suv (both diesels both '23's).

The pickup has been the usual new vehicle stuff; pretty solid, all happy in pickup land.
The suv just went down (sub 3k miles) with a massive oil leak (towed out of garage type of leak), dealer is thinking rear seal (or something) but they are stuck in a holding pattern for more intel from GMC as to what todo.

"I thought" the oil leak topic was an issue with the early 3.0's (lm2) and not the later 3.0's (lz0). But, it appears the '23 suv's get the lm2 and not the lz0 engine like the pickups get.
Is that correct?

The interesting part is these folks came from a competing brand, their first foray into the GM experience. Just under $200k into a pair of vehicles and the dealer is giving them noise about a loaner as they are looking at an unknown eta on the fix. These people aren't necessarily upset as they have other options, rather they are puzzled that this is the expected experience and people are ok with it.
I would have them approach service manager about vehicle to drive if no satisfaction owner of dealership.
If vehicle is down for a while, they should be afforded a vehicle.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's an emotional aspect to the purchase of an American vehicle. Like Harley Davidson, no one buys an FLH because they're the best at what they do.
Nah.... I bought this vehicle because it the last decent diesel SUV out there along with the size of vehicle that met my needs. If Lexus made a Diesel big SUV, you could bet I would have taken a hard look at it too. This is the 1st GM vehicle I've owned since the 1990's. While a lot more complex... so far, the experience has been mostly positive.
I buy the best vehicle fit for the purpose... no matter who makes it....

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure people buy the HD FLH for the same reason they buy the Yukon Denali diesel - There's nothing else like it. But with $200k spent on two new vehicles I'd think any dealer would do whatever it takes to keep that customer satisfied. Strange times in the USA automobile markets these days.

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of what is stated above applies to, or is implied to translate to, dealership/service expectations or experiences.......
Are you serious?

This quote doesn't speak to dealership/service expectations "Enjoy first-class luxury all the way."

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you serious?

This quote doesn't speak to dealership/service expectations "Enjoy first-class luxury all the way."
It's no different than buying a highly touted top-of-the-line appliance, lawn mower, or yacht. It can be embellished as the best of the best but has zero to do with how its supported.

I have Wolf and Subzero appliances in my home. When I called for service about a year ago on my range? 6 weeks before they could come look at it and only Factory Authorized technicians can repair it....

I am serious. Sales tactics, and eventual support rarely go hand in hand....

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure people buy the HD FLH for the same reason they buy the Yukon Denali diesel - There's nothing else like it. But with $200k spent on two new vehicles I'd think any dealer would do whatever it takes to keep that customer satisfied. Strange times in the USA automobile markets these days.
Sales people aren't always the most truthful and the service dept didn't sell you the vehicle.. Often times, one needs to re-align their expectations with reality. And I'm speaking for myself as well.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's no different than buying a highly touted top-of-the-line appliance, lawn mower, or yacht. It can be embellished as the best of the best but has zero to do with how its supported.

I have Wolf and Subzero appliances in my home. When I called for service about a year ago on my range? 6 weeks before they could come look at it and only Factory Authorized technicians can repair it....

I am serious. Sales tactics, and eventual support rarely go hand in hand....
Doesn't mean we shouldn't complain about it vociferously and let others know what to expect. It's false advertising. Ultimately, it's bad for shareholders, too, and should result in less vehicle sales. You can only pull the BS so long, before it catches up with you.

But yeah, there is a reason we only have one GM vehicle and we didn't waste our money on the "cache" of GMC, or High Country. Got only the Chevy trimline required for DMax, 360 camera, and panoramic roof (plus I went for the RST style). Wish I had paid more attention to the delete options. I could have done without descent control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel