Steering gear box leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get the alignment done to help the steering stay that way. If you can, get a printout of the alignment before and after settings and post here.

OP
OP
N

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an alignment. Guy said it wanders.

I didnt drive hardly anywhere after my repairs and prior alignment and so I didnt pay much attention.

He says gearbox may be tight.

My research says caster? affects wander and the lack of steering to center properly after a turn.

Planning to contact align shop.

Who's correct? Gear box maybe is tight because new but steering was so easy while bleeding on jack stands I don't know how it could be to tight.

Confused but fingers seem to point at alignment for all my research.

Oh..1 more thing.. Turning wheels with full weight on them in park is easy. So I don't see how Gear box is to blame. Stiffer than my old one for sure...but still easy even at idle.

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post your alignment sheet. Hopefully you got more than a Toe And Go. Yes caster is hard to come by on these trucks sometimes.Easy steering isn't play in the steering- Wheels straight ahead engine OFF- gently rock steering wheel side to side feeling for resistance- should be less than 1 inch free play. That is steering gear, shaft couplers,rag joint all together play. 1/4-1/2 inch total play is about factory allowable. 1 inch is beginning to be a problem. Now try that test engine running- feel the difference? Play should be the same.something to consider after you have more info AND trust your alignment guy-Amazon.com: Belltech 4955 Alignment Kit: Automotive

OP
OP
N

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post your alignment sheet. Hopefully you got more than a Toe And Go. Yes caster is hard to come by on these trucks sometimes.Easy steering isn't play in the steering- Wheels straight ahead engine OFF- gently rock steering wheel side to side feeling for resistance- should be less than 1 inch free play. That is steering gear, shaft couplers,rag joint all together play. 1/4-1/2 inch total play is about factory allowable. 1 inch is beginning to be a problem. Now try that test engine running- feel the difference? Play should be the same.something to consider after you have more info AND trust your alignment guy-Amazon.com: Belltech 4955 Alignment Kit: Automotive
Forgot to get a sheet. Calling align guy Monday.

I would say hardly any free play. Get resistance quickly with motor on or off.

The faster I drive the less wander i would say and the better it returns to center on a curve. Not perfect I would say but speed seems to help it.

When parked and I turn wheel to 3p or 9p and then let go it swings right back to straight or as close as possible considering all the weight on wheels. When driving that does not happen.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the steering box was adjusted too tight during the remanufacturing. I remember hearing that the recirculating ball system is designed to be slightly looser at center, and tighter at the ends of a turn. This is, in part, what helps return the steering to center.

OP
OP
N

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the steering box was adjusted too tight during the remanufacturing. I remember hearing that the recirculating ball system is designed to be slightly looser at center, and tighter at the ends of a turn. This is, in part, what helps return the steering to center.
I'm unsure. Never did a gearbox before so didn't want to play with it and mess something up prior to install. But it turned pretty easy one way and not the other when I tried to rotate pitman arm on it. BUT, thinking back it still had the caps on the ports so that prob created a vacuum so could be why it responded the way it did.

But like I said it turns easy with wheels up and seems like it wouldn't if it was adjusted tight. How can I turn it easy and driving does not return to center like it should? This is why alignment makes sense to my limited knowledge.

I read a lot last night and most cases point to alignment with my situation.

If I have to go to another align shop I'm getting this discussed with them prior.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignments are an experience thing. Every adjustment is a compromise with another- they take time. Thats why Toe N Go is a slogan- plus they sell tires! If your truck "Feels Better" driving in the rain you have an alignment issue. Thats because scrub is less in rain. Too much toe can drop your mileage 2-3 mpg or more.More caster generally = less toe.Toe should be set so under load the components stretch to "0" toe or close to it. Camber set to "0". I don't remember the exact number but 1/8 inch toe = 800 ft per mile scrub (meaning ALOT)

First you have to decide about your box=Is it OK or not? No play= Good. Recenters=Good. No pump squeal= Good. Moves tires sitting still=Good.

Does steering recenter after a turn? Say a left turn on a residential street- In other words if you let go of wheel after Apex is made, does it return to center and you are going straight ahead without correction? Now try a right turn. Too tight a box will not recenter.

Wandering- If your truck wanders, First check is worn out parts, next is alignment, next is Caster. Caster can be as high as 5 or as low as 1.5 and be ok. Depending on vehicle, (tires make a big difference here). Shoot for 3 caster..

In your descriptions, be more specific. Generalizations get you a vague answer.

OP
OP
N

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignments are an experience thing. Every adjustment is a compromise with another- they take time. Thats why Toe N Go is a slogan- plus they sell tires! If your truck "Feels Better" driving in the rain you have an alignment issue. Thats because scrub is less in rain. Too much toe can drop your mileage 2-3 mpg or more.More caster generally = less toe.Toe should be set so under load the components stretch to "0" toe or close to it. Camber set to "0". I don't remember the exact number but 1/8 inch toe = 800 ft per mile scrub (meaning ALOT)

First you have to decide about your box=Is it OK or not? No play= Good. Recenters=Good. No pump squeal= Good. Moves tires sitting still=Good.

Does steering recenter after a turn? Say a left turn on a residential street- In other words if you let go of wheel after Apex is made, does it return to center and you are going straight ahead without correction? Now try a right turn. Too tight a box will not recenter.

Wandering- If your truck wanders, First check is worn out parts, next is alignment, next is Caster. Caster can be as high as 5 or as low as 1.5 and be ok. Depending on vehicle, (tires make a big difference here). Shoot for 3 caster..

In your descriptions, be more specific. Generalizations get you a vague answer.
Thanks.
I've been a little vague because I don't/haven't had specifics to provide.

Now I know more:

Weight on tires: turns "easy" w/ steering wheel. Run engine and turn wheel to 9 or 3 and let go and steering wheel tries to go right back to center.

Jack up frt end: engine off. Turns fairly easy on 3/9 at the tires. (And I am NOT strong)

For the life of me I can't buy into the gearbox being "tight", as the recent align shop claims. I called this shop today. Says he never checked anything but toe because that was all my repairs affected. Say what???? Also says caster wouldn't affect steering re-centering. Asked him for data and he said he had none. I don't trust him no matter how many years of exp he says he has. "Alignment" means just that. And checking all factors should be his job.

Called a diff shop. Says caster WOULD affect re-centering. I am going to this shop Thur.

Faster speeds yield better handling. It doesn't go crazy at low speeds, just seems to need to correct it a lot. Prior to all my work it was similar in that it needed corrections often, but w/ a tired gearbox and possibly tired pitman/idler it was easier to correct in the steering wheel.

The new parts make things tighter and much more effort is needed to correct the wheel.

Re-centering after L/R turns was not an issue before, atleast I didn't notice it, and maybe that was because of worn components.

I had alignment 2yrs ago at a diff shop after new tires and right now can't find that printout showing what specs I had for 2 yrs.

Read a lot over the weekend and spoke to rebuilder today. He really tried to help the situation.

I truly don't believe the box is at fault. All my reading and shop calls say its alignment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts