Starting my audio project...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thebesta94

Reaction score
Just got the last few parts I wanted o do my audio instal..

Will be upgrading to a Sony XAV-AX5000

All of my cabin speakers will be on a hifonics zues 1800w amp, and the 12" kicker sub will be wired up to a hifonics zues 2400w amp.

Always been a 10" sub person, I believe they are more clean and crisp with a much sharper punch to them but I got the sub for free from a buddy so we will give it a try before I go spend more money...

Pics hopefully tomorrow night!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just got the last few parts I wanted o do my audio instal..

Will be upgrading to a Sony XAV-AX5000

All of my cabin speakers will be on a hifonics zues 1800w amp, and the 12" kicker sub will be wired up to a hifonics zues 2400w amp.

Always been a 10" sub person, I believe they are more clean and crisp with a much sharper punch to them but I got the sub for free from a buddy so we will give it a try before I go spend more money...

Pics hopefully tomorrow night!
Free=The best price :D

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to reading your assessment, and seeing pics, of the finished installation.

Personally, I agree with your opinion of the 10" sub sound, versus larger diameter subs (unless, of course, your primary objective is to be heard coming 3 blocks away, and you want to set off all car alarms within 300 feet of your truck).

What are you using for cabin speakers?

OP
OP
Thebesta94

Thebesta94

Reaction score
I went with 6 1/2 inch JBL GTO629.

Decent price on amazon with lots of good reviews... never personally used them, but we will see!

Looking forward to reading your assessment, and seeing pics, of the finished installation.

Personally, I agree with your opinion of the 10" sub sound, versus larger diameter subs (unless, of course, your primary objective is to be heard coming 3 blocks away, and you want to set off all car alarms within 300 feet of your truck).

What are you using for cabin speakers?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that you can go wrong with JBL as a reliable mid-priced speaker. Good thing that you have the Kicker sub to complete the overall frequency response spectrum, as these JBL's may be a bit weak on lower mid-range response.

OP
OP
Thebesta94

Thebesta94

Reaction score
Of course I decided to do this when the high in dallas the past 2 days has been 37... and I dont have a garage to work in... but finally done

All of it is wired up... tucked away, and looking pretty clean. I will say... I have learned alot since my first audio instal 3 cars ago. the first one had wires everywhere, looked god awful, and ended up catching on fire but I'm pretty impressed with myself on this one.

-New screen in the dash with reverse camera installed
-installed crossover for cabin
-mounted cabin amp below back seat, and sub amp to back of box
-ran extra audio cables from back of head unit to amp in case they snap or get cut... that way I only have to remove head unit and plug them in as well as to amp and dont have to remove everything and run new cables

20190208_173820.jpg 20190208_173820.jpg
20190208_173324.jpg 20190208_173243.jpg 20190208_173354.jpg 20190208_173702.jpg

OP
OP
Thebesta94

Thebesta94

Reaction score
Also, I know it's not the preferred method... but installed additional battery under the hood which is linked to main battery for additional power, and I know the capacitor is old school but it was already mounted to the sub box20190208_173903.jpg 20190208_173715.jpg so I figured what the hell glows pretty colors...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice!! Two comments.....

I could not tell from the photo if there were exposed metal leads at the top of the capacitor. I see the plexiglass disk on top, but I cannot tell if the terminals extend through the top of the plexiglass disk or not. If they are totally protected from any inadvertent terminal exposure to anything, very good. If there is any terminal exposure that could potentially result in a metal object touching and shorting them out, then I recommend making sure that situation cannot happen.

It looks like you ran the high current 12V wires and the low level pre-amp shielded wires together, next to each other, under the carpet on the same side of the truck. Installations that I have performed, and seen installation shops perform, typically run the high current 12V wires on one side of the truck, and the low level pre-amp shielded wires on the other side of the truck, to ensure that the electro-magnetic flux generated in the high current 12V wires does not interfere with the signals in the low level pre-amp shielded wires, causing humming and/or distortion of the low level pre-amp signals. If, when you fire it up, and there is no interference, then great. If there is interference, you may want to consider separating those two wire groups.

Otherwise, great job, and I look forward to reading about your assessment of the sound generated by the finished project.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thebesta94

Thebesta94

Reaction score
To your first point there is no exposed metal! But good shout... I had to go double check it!

And to your second point that is a good idea.. i have yet to hear any interference but will definitely keep an ear out for it!

I'm going to give it about a week, make sure i have the amps tuned to perfection, then I'll let you know how it is all sounding!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts