Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
P0191 has to do with sensing incorrect fuel rail pressure, either too low or too high as opposed to what the PCM is expecting.
P0562 has to do with the system seeing low voltage when is below 10 volts for a long enough period of time.
P2534 has to do with problems in the ignition circuit and maybe not enough voltage for that circuit.
P2635 has to do with electrical circuit to the fuel pump.

I am shortening all explanations that I looked up. I see a common thread in what was recommended as to the cause. CONTROL MODULES. PCM BCM and FPCM. But I doubt that either of these being replaced will fix all problems or even replacing all of them. I believe the problem is related to the voltages. First, you said you checked the cables and they tested/looked good. How did you test or was it a sight check? Did you check all connections at the ends for cleanliness and tight? Measured voltage drop from one end to the other? If unsure how to do that, look at a few you tube videos, not just one video.

But more than anything, What is the alternator putting out at idle and when you load it by turning things on and does the voltage regulator keep up. Your whole problem may be related to a failing alternator. These systems that don't see what they expect will sometimes try to adapt but some systems do not because to that system, it is just black and white, good or bad. Google all 4 codes and read thoroughly and look for the common thing that seems to tie them codes all together. Electrical connections, voltages and circuit resistance.

I hope this helps.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The low voltage codes could be a carryover from the old battery, if it didn't have enough voltage. Now that you've documented the existing codes, try clearing them to see if the same ones come back. Also have the alternator tested for voltage and amp output, and AC ripple.

If it's not fixed then, I'd recommend a voltage drop test on the battery cables; this is done with a load on the circuit. They do tend to rot inside where it can't be seen under the insulation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Breezy13x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: I popped the alternator off and took it to get it tested, and it failed. I bought a knew one and slapped it on there and cleared the codes. So far I noticed it is idling better and haven’t had a starting issue yet, with that being said I only put it in a few hours ago so time will tell. I cleared the codes and they came back. So I don’t know if ecm needs time to relearn some stuff since it was bad of if I still have an issue. I haven’t been able to to check the cables with the multi meter yet but I still plan on doing that. My next question is, could the battery cables still be bad and would that cause the alternator to fail over time? Is there anything else I should check also?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Update: I popped the alternator off and took it to get it tested, and it failed. I bought a knew one and slapped it on there and cleared the codes. So far I noticed it is idling better and haven’t had a starting issue yet, with that being said I only put it in a few hours ago so time will tell. I cleared the codes and they came back. So I don’t know if ecm needs time to relearn some stuff since it was bad of if I still have an issue. I haven’t been able to to check the cables with the multi meter yet but I still plan on doing that. My next question is, could the battery cables still be bad and would that cause the alternator to fail over time? Is there anything else I should check also?
All that works in tandem. If you have weak links and make other parts work too much, things can happen. I would give a good sight check of all connections and do some driving in the area and starts and shut offs and restarts and drive and let it relearn. The failed alternator could have damaged something else but who the hell knows right now.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As you now can see, there was a common theme in the descriptions of the codes likely problems. Now that you hopefully have the correct voltage output, it may be fixed or the next weak link in the system will be easy to find.

OP
OP
B

Breezy13x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replacing the alternator has definitely helped. It seems to be running smoother and idling better and starting issue has improved for sure. There is still some issues on the start but it less frequent and not as often. So I think I’m going to go ahead replace the ground strap and battery cables to see if that is the rest of my issue. I feel pretty certain that it is. So, I guess my next question, is I’ve been looking at ground straps and it’s coming up with a few different options. I don’t know the difference in them, but I would just assume length but the ac delco numbers are 20776808 or 23219941. I didn’t know if there is one I should order over the other? Thanks again!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I looked at RA for the ground straps, starter cable, positive and negative battery cables. Lots of RPO codes to decipher. Look at this and go thru the RPO codes and such:

OP
OP
B

Breezy13x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, well I finally got the ground strap in and a little time to fool with it yesterday. I seemed to under estimate how big a of pain getting the bolt out of the back of the head. So before I put of your to much more of a fight I was looking for some suggestions on to make that back bolt a little easier to get out. I can’t get a ratchet back there and I tried a box wrench and can’t seem to get it on either. So if anyone has any tips I’d appreciate it! Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645