starter wiring help 1995

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mater

Reaction score
my tahoe is a 95 the transition year so TBI but the rounded interior every thing i look up says it should have a start relay... i have not found said start relay. so is it wired like a 88-94 where it just sends the ignition switch wire right to the S terminal on the starter?

fighting a no crank. i use to be able to hear it click and engage the fly wheel but no spin but now i t;s not even cli cking and slamming into the fly wheel and i was hoping to at least see if a signal is getting to the starter.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm hearing your dilemma accurately and if it were me...

1) Try tapping on the starter with a hammer to see if that convinces the starter to respond. (If so, I'd replace the starter)
2) If option #1 produces no results I'd check for keyed power at the starter solenoid.
3) If option #2 indicates no keyed power at solenoid I'd be looking for a bad starter relay or fuse to replace.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always check voltage at the battery, needs 12.6 minimum. Clean all battery cable connections on both ends of the cables. Attach your voltmeter to the small terminal on the starter (purple wire) and then attempt to start, see what the voltage reads. If there is no voltage go back to the neutral or clutch safety switch and check.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tahoe is a 95 the transition year so TBI but the rounded interior every thing i look up says it should have a start relay... i have not found said start relay. so is it wired like a 88-94 where it just sends the ignition switch wire right to the S terminal on the starter?
The 95 service manual (attached) does not show a relay. For comparison, a 98 starter relay is in the fuse panel.

PDFs of the 1995 service manual volumes can be downloaded at this link:

IMG_7876.jpeg
IMG_7871.jpeg
IMG_7872.jpeg
IMG_7873.jpeg
IMG_7874.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar