Starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a new starter for my Yukon . I have shimmed it . No shims ,it just sounds like it's free spinning . I took it back to o reilys and it tests fine .. is it possible a new starter can't reach the flywheel? The gear looks like it has zero contact still. Is there any other possibilities ? I replaced the ground wire aswell. Battery is good

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being in the '91 - '99 section, I'm going to assume it's a 5.7 Vortec you're dealing with.
Verify you have the correct starter.
No shimming should be necessary.
Verify you're not missing teeth on the flex plate.
This could very well be a case of a good starter but bad solenoid, hence not thrusting the starter gear upon crank.
If that's the case, replace the new starter with another new one.

OP
OP
Walkercraig01

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 Yukon with a l31. Yes it tested good and throws it out . It just seems like it isn't reaching out far enough . The gear has no wear or signs of hitting flex plate , still has the paint on it . I have two starter currently and neither of them work . They are both the new style starter

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have two new starters?

When bench testing, did the gear come out smoothly or did it bounce a little back and forth?

How does the solenoid wire from the ignition look? Could you have a weak connection there? Is the ring terminal good? I think I’ve broken two terminals over the years by tightening the nut over it but forgetting to hold the wire still.

Just throwing it out there, but how long are your starter bolts? The correct bolt for the gear reduction is about 4-5/16” long but some early starters (the big direct ones) may have used longer ones. If you had to use spacers to get the bolts to sit, then you’d need to change the bolts. Photos of gear reduction starter and bolts…

IMG_7494.jpeg
IMG_7493.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Walkercraig01

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed one of my bolts has a bend in it now ... and I'm at work but I will measure them in the morning and follow up . I didn't think much into the bolts because I took a gear reduction off and replaced it with the same . And I don't think it was bent before .

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically on first gen. style SBC there are 2 starters, one with bolts straight across and one that has staggered bolt pattern. The difference is the size of the flywheel. Whatever starter came off you have to use the same bolt pattern starter going back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019