Start Towing with 114K miles on my Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk 09 LTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
D99A6C1D-6113-48B0-B49B-3350677CDCEF.jpeg So you’re clear on connecting the hot wire under the hood to get power to the inside of your trailer? This connection is not to power the trailer running lights, but to power things inside your trailer and charge your auxiliary battery while you’re traveling. The wire is coiled up near all the wires by the brake cylinder, mine is red with a black stripe. It needs to be attached to the right side of two hot terminals at the front of the fuse box. The other terminal is for a brake controller connection. Just FYI

OP
OP
randyg

randyg

Reaction score
View attachment 276144 So you’re clear on connecting the hot wire under the hood to get power to the inside of your trailer? This connection is not to power the trailer running lights, but to power things inside your trailer and charge your auxiliary battery while you’re traveling. The wire is coiled up near all the wires by the brake cylinder, mine is red with a black stripe. It needs to be attached to the right side of two hot terminals at the front of the fuse box. The other terminal is for a brake controller connection. Just FYI
Thanks! Very Helpful. I may need a pro to help as I have a 2nd battery running a Dometic Refrigerator/Freezer in the back of the Yukon and I'd want to make sure I'm not messing with that at the same time. I appreciate the photo. Someone mentioned the trailer brake controller not being hooked up from the factory. I'm assuming that's what goes to the other terminal you mention.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Very Helpful. I may need a pro to help as I have a 2nd battery running a Dometic Refrigerator/Freezer in the back of the Yukon and I'd want to make sure I'm not messing with that at the same time. I appreciate the photo. Someone mentioned the trailer brake controller not being hooked up from the factory. I'm assuming that's what goes to the other terminal you mention.

The factory trailer brake controller is hooked up and ready to go. If the vehicle does not have JL1, there's a bundle of wires under the dash and the one between the fender and fuse box are all for an aftermarket controller.

Arthur Richmond

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We’re actually headed back home with our tow setup which is similar to yours. It’s a 22’ with a max weight of 4,800 pounds. Our suburban is a 12 with the factory tow package as well but I swapped in some 4.11 gears after pulling it one time with the 3.42 factory setup. So far the factory cooler has worked great but it’s also cooler this time of the year so I plan on swapping in a bigger cooler as well. We’ve been all the way up to New York and wouldn’t try it without the 4.11’s for our setup as we have 33X12.50 tires. With the 3.42’s around the house it stayed right at 3k rpm. With the 4.11’s it does great at 2,500 rpm.

edit: that’s at 65 mph. And 103k miles on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
randyg

randyg

Reaction score
We’re actually headed back home with our tow setup which is similar to yours. It’s a 22’ with a max weight of 4,800 pounds. Our suburban is a 12 with the factory tow package as well but I swapped in some 4.11 gears after pulling it one time with the 3.42 factory setup. So far the factory cooler has worked great but it’s also cooler this time of the year so I plan on swapping in a bigger cooler as well. We’ve been all the way up to New York and wouldn’t try it without the 4.11’s for our setup as we have 33X12.50 tires. With the 3.42’s around the house it stayed right at 3k rpm. With the 4.11’s it does great at 2,500 rpm.

edit: that’s at 65 mph. And 103k miles on it.
Very cool!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow with my 12 at 187k miles when I need to. No idea what the previous owners did. I also don’t drive like a jack wagon clogging up the road either, I keep up with traffic.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Just my 02, First you are a short wheelbase which is not "optimal" for towing so just as important as the weight distribution is a "sway away " device. Also as mentioned earlier get ready to see a "minimum" of 3300 rpm when climbing. I would advise renting your choice of trailer and taking a road trip to utah ie' 75 mph speed limit on the I15. Find out what it is like before buying a TT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts