Standard height improved off road suspension for Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a bad 10 mile dirt road to my cabin and my shocks are blown. Is there a favorite suspension upgrade without lift for washboard pot holed dirt roads?

Also, do you get rear wheel drift while braking on downhill curves? The Tahoe is definitely not as planted as my old LandCruiser wagon off road.

Thanks!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome @Clack the Bilstein 5100 series seem to be highly recommended for these rigs, I haven't had a chance to get them myself but I plan to.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id like to mention where you do want quality shocks for any length of offroad adventures. shocks are purely a dampener and wont really help a bunch when offroading except to help cushion the blows when you drop into a hole and such. it also sounds like your rear brakes may be locking up too much if its becoming uncontrolled when on a rocky decline. anyway a cheap junk shock is more liable to get blown out from too much aggressive offroad typical moves where a good shock as the ones mentioned above will take abuse do thier job and still be functioning when you get back on pavement.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
King OEM shocks.. I run 70 to 80+ mph over the type of roads you describe and open desert roads.. They are pricey, far superior to anything out there, designed for high speed off road and are rebuild able so they can last the life of the vehicle.

To get the best out of any shocks you will need both front and rear shocks.

OP
OP
Clack

Clack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow. Those Kings look killer but I can't bring myself to drop $1,500 on shocks right now. The LandCruiser is for wheeling, the Tahoe is just the dirt road blaster. I'll typically drive it between 20-40 but there can be closeout pothole sections and a lot of rattling washboard. Really looking for something that will tame the blows. The 5100's look like they're right up my alley and I like that I can raise the front an inch or two to level out the stance.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Wow. Those Kings look killer but I can't bring myself to drop $1,500 on shocks right now. The LandCruiser is for wheeling, the Tahoe is just the dirt road blaster. I'll typically drive it between 20-40 but there can be closeout pothole sections and a lot of rattling washboard. Really looking for something that will tame the blows. The 5100's look like they're right up my alley and I like that I can raise the front an inch or two to level out the stance.

I would try the Rancho Quick lift loaded 9000 they should work for you too and are a lot less money. I had those at first and they were still good for 60mph. on dirt roads plus they are adjustable.

I have a set or 7000 Rancho's sitting in the garage but, they are for a 4 inch lift and I think the over-all length is almost 24 inches.

GlobalRoamer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would try the Rancho Quick lift loaded 9000 they should work for you too and are a lot less money. I had those at first and they were still good for 60mph. on dirt roads plus they are adjustable.

I have a set or 7000 Rancho's sitting in the garage but, they are for a 4 inch lift and I think the over-all length is almost 24 inches.

So you had a good experience with the quick lift struts? A shop I spoke with recently told me they probably fall apart on me. :-/ I read through your build and seriously good stuff.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
So you had a good experience with the quick lift struts? A shop I spoke with recently told me they probably fall apart on me. :-/ I read through your build and seriously good stuff.

I blew out a seal on one of mine after at least 40,000 miles and I do a lot of harsh off road trips I have hit 1 foot dips at 30+ mph.. Not on purpose of course and they hung in there. I later found the shock that failed was installed wrong by the shop in Reno by using and impact wrench. The impact backed out the piston so, when I removed the shock it was almost 2 inches longer than original.

The Rancho is around $450 a set.
Fox will run just under a grand.
Bilstein 5100's can give you 1 3/4 inch lift around $250 but, you will need a spring compressor to install them or maybe risk serious bodily injury..

Last edited: