2013 Z71 Suburban for Overlanding - tire/suspension input request

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffm333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This winter I picked up a 2013 z71 Suburban to outfit as an Overlanding and long distance/duration road trip vehicle. I have the interior, solar, sleeping and storage platforms, cabinetry, fridge, house batteries, shore power/inverter setup complete and have been doing some light traveling. (I’ll post pics of the full buildout eventually for the Overlanding crowd).

She has some transmission/torque converter woes creeping up I am having to deal with sooner than I wanted, so figure while the vehicle is down it’s a good time to do the suspension.

Primary goal is increase ground clearance as for when I am hsing on BLM and National Forest access/logging roads, with the occasionally more challenging off-roading in the desert or mountains. I’m not rock crawling, but want to be good in the snow in winter and able to get to almost all the places I could get to with the 2002 leveled/lifted tahoe z71 with stock size KO2’s on it. (Sadly longer wheelbase and worse approach angles on a suburban will be limiting, but I wanted the extra space so went with the suburban this time). The vehicle sees a ton of pavement though too - lots of cross country highway miles.

Ground clearance for off-roading currently seems pretty poor (I can barely slide under the truck for an oil change and I’m a thin guy). The current suspension components are original and the ride is currently horrid; they need attention now anyway. After extensive reading here and elsewhere, this seems like a typical solution: replace the shocks (billstein 5100’s? Maybe rough country lit or Rancho?) and level the front up 2”-2.5”, and bring the rear up maybe 1” or whatever is needed to make it near-level. I’d like to go with just slightly larger tires, most likely BFG AT KO2 10-ply tires. I want to avoid having to drop the diff or modify other steering components thus limiting the lift size. Atleast for now :).

If I can get back to Tennessee before the transmission gives out I can do a lot myself. But currently I’m in Nevada and most likely will just have it done here. (If any of you are in Reno or Vegas area and know reputable shops I’m open to input)

Anyone have some experience on lifting the gmt900 suburbans and increasing their off-road clearance and capability a bit?

With the Overlanding build out, the truck is also heavier than the average suburban. Even with all the seats and numerous panels out of the vehicle, she probably has the equivalent of about 500lbs of cargo at all times… so I’m also interested in any thoughts on suspension component upgrades that would help with managing the ride with a heavier cargo load.

Thanks for getting This far in my long post!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This winter I picked up a 2013 z71 Suburban to outfit as an Overlanding and long distance/duration road trip vehicle. I have the interior, solar, sleeping and storage platforms, cabinetry, fridge, house batteries, shore power/inverter setup complete and have been doing some light traveling. (I’ll post pics of the full buildout eventually for the Overlanding crowd).

She has some transmission/torque converter woes creeping up I am having to deal with sooner than I wanted, so figure while the vehicle is down it’s a good time to do the suspension.

Primary goal is increase ground clearance as for when I am hsing on BLM and National Forest access/logging roads, with the occasionally more challenging off-roading in the desert or mountains. I’m not rock crawling, but want to be good in the snow in winter and able to get to almost all the places I could get to with the 2002 leveled/lifted tahoe z71 with stock size KO2’s on it. (Sadly longer wheelbase and worse approach angles on a suburban will be limiting, but I wanted the extra space so went with the suburban this time). The vehicle sees a ton of pavement though too - lots of cross country highway miles.

Ground clearance for off-roading currently seems pretty poor (I can barely slide under the truck for an oil change and I’m a thin guy). The current suspension components are original and the ride is currently horrid; they need attention now anyway. After extensive reading here and elsewhere, this seems like a typical solution: replace the shocks (billstein 5100’s? Maybe rough country lit or Rancho?) and level the front up 2”-2.5”, and bring the rear up maybe 1” or whatever is needed to make it near-level. I’d like to go with just slightly larger tires, most likely BFG AT KO2 10-ply tires. I want to avoid having to drop the diff or modify other steering components thus limiting the lift size. Atleast for now :).

If I can get back to Tennessee before the transmission gives out I can do a lot myself. But currently I’m in Nevada and most likely will just have it done here. (If any of you are in Reno or Vegas area and know reputable shops I’m open to input)

Anyone have some experience on lifting the gmt900 suburbans and increasing their off-road clearance and capability a bit?

With the Overlanding build out, the truck is also heavier than the average suburban. Even with all the seats and numerous panels out of the vehicle, she probably has the equivalent of about 500lbs of cargo at all times… so I’m also interested in any thoughts on suspension component upgrades that would help with managing the ride with a heavier cargo load.

Thanks for getting This far in my long post!
you could probably save yourself a whole bunch of money and hassle buy just buying this one

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jeffm333 Welcome to the family!

Bilstein 5100s are the way to go, do not go with anything less.

Get Moog 81244 springs for the front and Moog 81069 springs for the rear.

Get a 1 inch aluminum spacer for the front and the rear.

Those heavy duty springs and spacers will give about 2-2.5 inches of lift, just enough for ground clearance and fitting larger tires without needing rework the rest of the suspension to accommodate a lifted suspension.

Get 33 inch KO2 tires on your factory wheels and send it.

Other ways to gain ground clearance would be to get offroad style bumpers and get rid of running board and steps.

OP
OP
jeffm333

jeffm333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is perfect concise input - thank you very much. This being a z71 model… any idea how the mood 80069 I’m the rears compare to the z71 rear springs?

Aftermarket bumpers, winch, and removing the factory step rails also potential future endeavors… I figure the step rails might come off naturally; I tore the ones off my 2002 tahoe z71 pushing the limits off-road on a couple of occasions. :)

I’m a little concerned on the beefiness required to winch a loaded down suburban…. And a little concerned aftermarket bumpers and winch will add some Significant weight… so will wait to explore those mods after I have the basics dialed in.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jeffm333 They are supposed to be the same but my z71 came with lowering springs so I never had the opportunity to compare them myself.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option to look at for rear springs is skyjacker c25r they're for 2.5 inch rear lift over a non z71 stock height. I have the 5 inch lift version skyjacker springs in my suburban and always have atleast 500 pounds of tools in the way back and it handles the weight. Some people also use hummer h2 springs also for a small lift

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
DO NOT GO TO FOLBECK 4 wheel IN RENO They will screw you and they do not stand behind their work at all... I paid them 15 grand to customize my truck and a few months later when their gearing job started making noise they would not stand behind their work... I had to pay another shop to redo both differentials. They also did very poor workmanship.

If you want some overland ideas check out my build thread in my signature below.

jcsswix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I suggest going with the Fox 2.0 setup if you want the best bang for your buck. They're going to be better than the Bilsteins and they're not super expensive. That paired with Dobinson's 2" lift rear springs (NO SPACERS required) and some Cognito uppers and you'll be in the money. I've done some serious off-roading with the setup and have never had issues. Comfortable on and off road. I do have other upgraded suspension components but even when I had just the 2.0's and UCA's it was super capable. Check out my build and friend me on instagram @j.c.s.a

PXL_20230716_134608971.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz