Stale smell & leaking noise from sunroof every time it rains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allyssa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 LTZ Tahoe and I've noticed that every time it rains, the interior smells musty, like old wet carpet but nothing seems to be wet. When driving, I've also heard a leaking noise that seems to come from the sunroof. Is there a drainage system in the sunroof or somewhere in the door/roof area where rain could collect and drain?

This happens every single time it rains, especially the smell. Any ideas?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are hoses that duct water from a "gutter" in the sunroof down the A-pillars and through the cabin wall or floor. They can get clogged, especially if you live in a dusty area. But if you're hearing wind noise while driving, the seal may be collapsed, worn or damaged. Next time you drive and you're just under the speed where you start to hear the "leaking noise", gently push upward on the glass to see if that same noise occurs. If so, then you have a seal problem. The water may be running down to somewhere that you can't see, where it stagnates and mildews, causing the smell. There's heat/sound insulation (jute padding) under the carpet that would absorb most of the water so the surface of the carpet would remain dry. You'd have to snap off the trim and pull back the carpet around the door sills and kick panels to find the wet area(s).

OP
OP
A

Allyssa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are hoses that duct water from a "gutter" in the sunroof down the A-pillars and through the cabin wall or floor. They can get clogged, especially if you live in a dusty area. But if you're hearing wind noise while driving, the seal may be collapsed, worn or damaged. Next time you drive and you're just under the speed where you start to hear the "leaking noise", gently push upward on the glass to see if that same noise occurs. If so, then you have a seal problem. The water may be running down to somewhere that you can't see, where it stagnates and mildews, causing the smell. There's heat/sound insulation (jute padding) under the carpet that would absorb most of the water so the surface of the carpet would remain dry. You'd have to snap off the trim and pull back the carpet around the door sills and kick panels to find the wet area(s).
Thanks for the input. Are you saying push on the windshield to test?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Are you saying push on the windshield to test?

NO! Not the windshield! The sunroof glass.

When you said "heard a leaking noise that seems to come from the sunroof", I assumed you meant you heard a wind noise while traveling at highway speeds because I've had this happen before on a past vehicle. If you hear the noise while going around 60 MPH, go about 50 MPH then gently push up on the sunroof glass with your hand to see if you hear the noise that you hear when going 60 MPH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz