2015 Yukon Denali XL - Sunroof not aligned and leaking again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PitBullFan01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased a CPO 2015 Yukon Denali XL in May 2016. Shortly after purchasing my truck, I noticed that the Sunroof sometimes leaks when it rains. I didn't notice it right away because it only happens when there is a lot of rain and then the headliner starts to leak pretty bad near the front roof console. I took the truck into the dealer for service and was told the Sunroof was "out of alignment" so, the sunroof was then realigned and the truck ran thru the shower to verify it was not leaking anymore. Since that 1st time that this happened, I have had this same issue happen 3-4 more times. Each time, I will only notice the problem when it rains a lot and the headliner starts to leak really bad. I take the truck to the same dealer each time because they are the only dealer in my area that has the shower to check for leaks. Each time I am told the Sunroof is "out of alignment" and needs to be repositioned. I ask what keeps causing this issue and I am told "I don't know." I am now having the same problem again. It rained the last 2 days here in NY. Yesterday, when me and my fiancée went out to the store, she noticed she was getting wet sitting in the front passenger seat. I then notice the headliner is soaking wet around the roof console again so I assume the sunroof is out of alignment, again. The last time I had the Sunroof alignment corrected, I decided not to open or close the sunroof to see it that was causing the problem. I have not used the Sunroof since the last time it was "re-aligned." But, the problem resurfaced again. I am now very concerned that this truck has a body or bent frame issue that was never disclosed to me when I purchased the truck or some other issue which is causing the sunroof to shift. I need to get this issue resolved. The water leaking into the headliner is not good and may be causing mold, mildew and/or electrical issues. I chatted with GM support today and they opened a case. I was told I will receive a call back within 2 days from a Senior Service Advisor. Anyone heard of or experienced this type of issue with their Sunroof? I've checked drain holes and they are good. I really don't think the leak is coming from the Shark fin and do believe I might have more serious issues. Hoping To get to the bottom of it and get it resolved ASAP. Any feedback is appreciated...

Thank you

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a Google search and there is possibly a TSB which the dealer should be well aware of. 90% of the time it is the shark fin antenna whether it is a Tahoe, Yukon or pick up truck. May be time to look for another Dealer.

OP
OP
PitBullFan01

PitBullFan01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do a Google search and there is possibly a TSB which the dealer should be well aware of. 90% of the time it is the shark fin antenna whether it is a Tahoe, Yukon or pick up truck. May be time to look for another Dealer.
I knew it was not the Antenna because of where the leak was showing up. BUT, the dealer insisted that it was the Antenna. So, they replaced the Antenna at the tune of $470. I fought with GMC Customer Service and the Dealer because this is a leak I have been complaining about since I purchased the vehicle. But, they still told me I had to pay for it. So, they just replaced the Shark Fin Antenna. Luckily it was raining the day I took it to the dealer. On my way home after getting the Antenna replaced, not even 10 minutes of driving and it started leaking again!!! I called the dealer and the service advisor spoke to the Mechanic and he swears when he removed the Antenna there was water and rust in it. But my truck is still leaking in the exact same place it was leaking in for the last 2 1/2 years! I am going to upload pictures of the location of the leak. I have a case opened with GMC. The Senior Advisor I am working with is very nice but, GMC is not doing enough. This leak is very frustrating and I have been dealing with it for over 2 1/2 years! I am so tired and frustrated with this. My truck can sit in the rain for days and no leak but as soon as I drive in the rain, leak. This dealership is supposedly the only dealership near me that has the facilities to deal with leaks, They place the truck in a "shower." But, I keep telling them when sitting the leak does not occur; only when driving in the rain does leak occur. It only happens when driving in the rain. I have told them this several times but they do not seem to listen. I am going to leave the truck with the dealer this time and hope they can fix the leak. If not, I will take it to another dealer. After that, I need to hire a lawyer. GMC is also aware of my concerns with future rust problems in the headliner and possible electrical problems in the roof console. I made note of this in the case. Will keep you 'all posted on this irritating recurring issue...

IMG_7973.JPG IMG_7975.JPG IMG_7976.JPG IMG_7977.JPG IMG_7993.JPG

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Sorry for your issue, this sucks. It’s ****** the dealer made you pay for the new shark fin and install when you’ve had the issue since purchase and it’s them that haven’t been able to fix the problem within an acceptable time frame. I’d be getting the money you spent on the shark fin repair refunded ASAP. You spent that $ based on their diagnostics and their recommendation when obviously it was not necessary.

It’s odd that it only leaks while driving or the vehicle is in motion, not while sitting. So if they were “re-aligning” the sunroof and then putting it into their special water leak diagnostics “shower” AKA their car wash that every dealer has they wouldn’t know if it were leaking still without putting the vehicle in motion.

Is the current dealer trying to fix the issue the dealer where you purchased the vehicle? If so, if it were me I’d consider NOT taking to another dealer. You’ve already opened a case with GM, they’re aware of it, they know what dealer you’re taking it to. Taking it then to a second dealer could “muddy” the situation by adding another party into the equation. Just my opinion, unless GM Customer Service were to recommend another dealer.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the sunroof has drain tubes? If so, the tubes can get clogged, kinked, or broken and will cause leaks. In your case they’d be clogged or kinked and overflowing into the headliner. The sunroof on my rover uses drain tubes that exit out of the front fenders - food for thought.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the sunroof has drain tubes? If so, the tubes can get clogged, kinked, or broken and will cause leaks. In your case they’d be clogged or kinked and overflowing into the headliner. The sunroof on my rover uses drain tubes that exit out of the front fenders - food for thought.

I would assume so but, I don't know for sure. Poor me, I don't have a sunroof (wish I did).

OP
OP
PitBullFan01

PitBullFan01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. There are 2 drain holes in the sunroof. One on each front corner. That' one of the first things I checked and they are both flowing freely. The tubes drain out completely without restriction when I pour water in the holes.

I dropped my truck off to the dealer 5 days ago. I received a call on day 3 telling me that they had the truck in the shower for a whole day and no leak. I had to tell them again for like the 25th time that the truck does not leak when sitting in rain. It only leaks when driving in the rain. So, sitting in the shower is not going to produce the problem. My truck has sat in the rain for storms lasting 3-5 days. Each day, I go outside to check and no leak. But, if I drive in those storms, within 10 minutes my headliner is soaked around the roof console and dripping wet. I wish I could upload a video showing how bad the wetness gets; it gets so bad the water drips into the cab onto the center console, the passenger and me... I was able to upload pictures and video to the dealer showing the water dripping and the wet headliner. I have not heard from them this weekend since speaking to them on Friday. I am going to call them tomorrow for an update. This is very frustrating...

Last edited:
OP
OP
PitBullFan01

PitBullFan01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I really appreciate anyone that has replied to this thread and anyone that replies. This is what makes this community so successful...
Much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PitBullFan01

PitBullFan01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow. Sorry for your issue, this sucks. It’s ****** the dealer made you pay for the new shark fin and install when you’ve had the issue since purchase and it’s them that haven’t been able to fix the problem within an acceptable time frame. I’d be getting the money you spent on the shark fin repair refunded ASAP. You spent that $ based on their diagnostics and their recommendation when obviously it was not necessary.

It’s odd that it only leaks while driving or the vehicle is in motion, not while sitting. So if they were “re-aligning” the sunroof and then putting it into their special water leak diagnostics “shower” AKA their car wash that every dealer has they wouldn’t know if it were leaking still without putting the vehicle in motion.

Is the current dealer trying to fix the issue the dealer where you purchased the vehicle? If so, if it were me I’d consider NOT taking to another dealer. You’ve already opened a case with GM, they’re aware of it, they know what dealer you’re taking it to. Taking it then to a second dealer could “muddy” the situation by adding another party into the equation. Just my opinion, unless GM Customer Service were to recommend another dealer.
Good point. Thank you very much for that info. Yes, I am speaking to the Service manager to get a refund for the antenna. That definitely was not the issue. I continue to take the truck to the same dealership. I actually purchased the truck in NC but live in NY. So, I chose this service center based on customer reviews and location is near my home. They've had the truck for the last 5 days. But, the last 2 days they were closed. I am calling tomorrow to get an update on their progress.