Really bad driver side water leak: carpet soaked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You checkbthe shark fin up top on roof? Gaskets split and water leaks in there... especially on the back side..

I have not yet checked the shark fin. I will check that this weekend.

I am having the same problem but not as bad. My pad at the firewall is dry, just getting water on the floor. I was thinking of taking the A-pillar cover off and spraying the vehicle down with water and watching that area.

I'm getting water from the firewall as well. It's a constant leak.

Has your truck ever had the windshield replaced? Look for the GM logo on the passenger side. I had the same issue on the passenger side floorboard, pulled everything out and i pulled the headliner down, you could see daylight through the 1/16th inch gap probably 2 inches long they didn't seal very well.

Also the headliner has a hard coating on the back side, so if water gets on the headliner from the roof, it may not show through.

My windshield has never been replaced. It's the original GM windshield. It has the GM logo and says AS-1 on it as well.

I was wondering that about the headliner. Every single post and video I've seen say that it eventually got stained. I only saw one video on YouTube where the guy said that it didn't show.

bryank97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im sure the headliner could get stained eventually, but that hard coating protects it very well. Id check that shark fin next. Just keep poking around, you'll find it eventually. Also suggestion is the boots in the door jam, that contain the wiring. Check those

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure the headliner could get stained eventually, but that hard coating protects it very well. Id check that shark fin next. Just keep poking around, you'll find it eventually. Also suggestion is the boots in the door jam, that contain the wiring. Check those

Ok, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

I've already checked all the boots and rubber grommets in the door jamb and at the bottom, none of them are leaking. Definitely originating from up above, since the driver side kickpanel (that opens the dash up on the left side) is where the water is visible, by the fuse box.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has your truck ever had the windshield replaced? Look for the GM logo on the passenger side. I had the same issue on the passenger side floorboard, pulled everything out and i pulled the headliner down, you could see daylight through the 1/16th inch gap probably 2 inches long they didn't seal very well.

Also the headliner has a hard coating on the back side, so if water gets on the headliner from the roof, it may not show through.
I bought this car new and the windshield has been replaced. I chased this leak a couple years ago and it was the windshield not sealed properly. I had that removed and resealed. Now the leak is back, and the windshield is suspect again for me at least.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this car new and the windshield has been replaced. I chased this leak a couple years ago and it was the windshield not sealed properly. I had that removed and resealed. Now the leak is back, and the windshield is suspect again for me at least.

Where did you get the windshield repaired? I'm maybe interested in getting a new windshield, but I do NOT want to use 3rd party OEM stuff (like Safelite).

How do we get our windshields replaced with OEM factory stuff? Only the dealer can do it?

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the windshield repaired? I'm maybe interested in getting a new windshield, but I do NOT want to use 3rd party OEM stuff (like Safelite).

How do we get our windshields replaced with OEM factory stuff? Only the dealer can do it?
Glass America did mine, I talked to my dealer and they would of had an outside glass place come in and would not be OEM. Are you worried about quality of the glass? Maybe your dealer is different.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glass America did mine, I talked to my dealer and they would of had an outside glass place come in and would not be OEM. Are you worried about quality of the glass? Maybe your dealer is different.

Yes, I would be worried about quality. The OEM glass in my opinion is always of a higher standard and is much stronger than replica/equivalent.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would be worried about quality. The OEM glass in my opinion is always of a higher standard and is much stronger than replica/equivalent.
I'm sure it is, I would say OEM has to pass standards aftermarket does not.

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the door for stored water. I had a similar situation where my doors were filling with water because of clogged drain holes in the bottom of the door. That can easily drain out slowly to the interior over time. I have a video of it draining out, easily a couple gallons.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely not the door. The leaking is happening at a much greater height than the door drains. It's right where the driver side kick panel is on the dashboard.

At any rate, I sealed up the sharkfin and the roof rack mounting holes. It's supposed to rain the next few days. I'm really hoping it's not the windshield seal.