Spohn Control Arm Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Spohn off-road-rear suspension control arms and track bar. From another forum post, one person commented tightening down the del-sphere joint as far as you could go to take care of some clunkiness. But for mixed-use (road and trail), is tightening the joint this tight the right thing to do, or should more play be allowed on the del-sphere? I started tightening down the joints and then thought that maybe more play is needed for off-road use.

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Spohn off-road-rear suspension control arms and track bar. From another forum post, one person commented tightening down the del-sphere joint as far as you could go to take care of some clunkiness. But for mixed-use (road and trail), is tightening the joint this tight the right thing to do, or should more play be allowed on the del-sphere? I started tightening down the joints and then thought that maybe more play is needed for off-road use.
@gmartin1215 It may have been me that said that, yes I would tighten them down as much as you can within reason. The weight of the Tahoe will manipulate the joint regardless so get it tight or it will clunk. Tightening the joint will not reduce its flex.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do they perform offroad? I was looking at possibly installing them.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve tightened mine up 3 times in 10k miles. Still clunking. I guess I’m not tightening them up enough. I guess I will give it another try. Either they will quiet up or I’ll break em. Lol.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve tightened mine up 3 times in 10k miles. Still clunking. I guess I’m not tightening them up enough. I guess I will give it another try. Either they will quiet up or I’ll break em. Lol.
@fire730 @Staggered 02 The way I got mine to stop was to take an impact gun to it and tighten it as much as I could.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@fire730 @Staggered 02 The way I got mine to stop was to take an impact gun to it and tighten it as much as I could.
Really?? I’m definitely not tightening it enough then. 1/2” impact??
Just to clarify; on the tool that sets the tension / preload on the bushings? I had NO idea that I needed to put them that tight.
Thanks for the info.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really?? I’m definitely not tightening it enough then. 1/2” impact??
Just to clarify; on the tool that sets the tension / preload on the bushings? I had NO idea that I needed to put them that tight.
Thanks for the info.
@Staggered 02 @fire730 Yes I was either going to solve the clunking or break them trying because I was fed up. I can't remember which gun of mine I used to tighten the bushings but I used that little 4 prong tool that you buy with the Spohn bar and I snugged that bugger up as much as I could. You shouldn't be able to move the joint with your hands but the weight of the Tahoe will make it articulate just fine. Spohn recommends NOT lubing the joint because they come Pre-lubed and more lube will just attract dirt. It has been 6 months and the bar is solid. I hope this helps, when I first got the Spohn bar I was like "this is trash" but now I am a fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons