speaker question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpareParts

Reaction score
The radio in my 2001 sounds horrible it's non Bose.
I have
Atoto S8 Premium DD HU.
2: Infiniti Kappa 60CSX
2: Infiniti Kappa 62ix
1: Alpine BBx-F1200 amp
1: Infinity Basslink mini underseat sub.
I plan on taking out the front seats so i can lift the carpet and run the RCA's from the HU to the amp, then from the amp will be new wires to the 4 doors.
Question is, would the Basslink mini underseat be good enough or would a upgraded stock location rear sub be better with a dedicated amp?
Also, the front Kappas are component. Would it be ok to mount them in the doors as high as i can get them or get a couple A pillar molding with the bose cutout and place them there?

After watching a couple YouTube vid's i got a Radio pocket, Bracket and Dash bezel from a 03.
Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do all 4 speakers sound horrible, or do only some of them sound horrible?

Regarding your sub-woofer question, that would be a matter of personal choice. If you just want stronger base, then the setup you ask about would probably work fine. If you want to announce yourself through your bass output 2 blocks before you arrive at your destination, them you would need a sub-woofer not mounted under the seat.

Do you have caprtain's chairs for your second row seats?

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Reaction score
They all sound horrible. Tinny with no base but not rattling and the twist knob that is around the power button does nothing. The power light on the radio does not come on either but it does play music. Fade and balance work. The treble and bass buttons do make a difference but almost un noticeable.
I believe the output is blown on either the radio or amp. The amp does have constant power (orange) and a switched power (purple, iirc) from my checks.

I do have rear captains setting. I will probably put my amp and sub under the rear seats. Easy to get to.
I do not need to be heard a 1/2 block away but i do want it to sound good.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so you do have the crossover hooked up for that csx kit right? that is going to make a big difference on your problem. the 62ix isnt going to be great for bass to begin with. the last probable problem i can personally suggest is infinity generally isnt great for bass. they have primarily always been focused on clarity and mids and highs. the only things i cant really comment on is your hu i mean i wouldn't trust anything i can find on your typical rip off sites but i dont know anything about it. last issue and again im not there so not sure about your wiring. getting into amps and especially high grade speakers your polarity matters. cheap speakers generally dont care but good speakers can totally change your audio quality.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think I'm about to give you some bad news here:

Those speakers are 2.5ohm impedance on the 60csx components, &
2.7 ohm impedance on the rear 62ix.
I know on some of the SUVs, the door components are wired in series. With the bose setup, they are an odd ohm, and that's what I think these speakers you have, are specd for.

Trying to run those at half the power on a 4 ohm head unit, I don't think your head unit can handle below 4 ohms impedance.

As for that amp, I wouldn't run that 4 chs with that power anyways.

SO LETS TRY TO SALVAGE THIS SETUP, AND GET SOMEWHERE BETTER:

Here is what I would do: Personally, you needed a new amp anyways. Your head unit can't power those, and the amp you have is underpowered for four.
You could still use the alpine amp to power those rear speakers. You would wire it up as a 4ch amp, and you can do this to figure out voltage and set your gain:

It will be wired up as 4ch amp, it will use the power of a 4ch amp, you'll just leave 2 ch empty. You're "burning off" / using about 10 amps to power those channels that you're not going to get back, but you could still use this equipment. If you can find another set of speakers that are also 2.7ohms that fit somewhere for that rear channel, you would be ready to just wire em up and connect to the amp, and the rest would already be done.

You're then going to need a 2ch amp for the fronts. 2.7ohms is right in the middle of wattage between 2 and 4 ohm. Those front speakers are 100w, you could go 150-200 without having a real worry, it just won't get much louder. The amp would just need to be able to be rated at 2 ohms, and you can play it at 2.5ohms (rounded numbers aren't required, they're just more common, and to compare). If you found something that does at least:
100w x 2 @ 4ohm, and
150w x 2 @ 2ohm,
then (use that same video) and it would give you just below the middle of that (rated at that THD).

Your head unit has the two inputs for those two amps and third for a sub. Your mini basslink is a powered sub. Wire it up, and when you want more, then you can add more.

You can make the 03 dash bezel fit, but it doesn't line up well with the HVAC controls, and you can tell it's not factory correct if you're OCD. There are a couple companies that make a $150 bezel that is designed for 99-02, with a double din opening that looks perfect, if you want to paint it.

No reason you can't put tweeters in the pillars or in the doors. The pillars were the later design to get em closer to the ears. Some people don't like the angle on em. No reason you can't get a set of pillars, try em out, and compare em to see where you like em better.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've been given great advice from @adriver , and I'm sure that he'll assist you along the way, if you go that route.

If you want good bass (for listening and not for setting off car alarms), you could add a free-standing sub-woofer enclosure in the space between the second row captains chairs.

Sub-Woofer Enclosure - Small File.jpg

Please excuse all the white dog hair, as my White German Shepherds love to sit on the sub-woofer enclosure and look out the windshield over my right shoulder.

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Reaction score
ok so you do have the crossover hooked up for that csx kit right? that is going to make a big difference on your problem. the 62ix isnt going to be great for bass to begin with. the last probable problem i can personally suggest is infinity generally isnt great for bass. they have primarily always been focused on clarity and mids and highs. the only things i cant really comment on is your hu i mean i wouldn't trust anything i can find on your typical rip off sites but i dont know anything about it. last issue and again im not there so not sure about your wiring. getting into amps and especially high grade speakers your polarity matters. cheap speakers generally dont care but good speakers can totally change your audio quality.
The stereo is not installed. So far i have just said what i have. The complete stock system is still installed and as far as i know intact.

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Reaction score
I do thank you guys for all the info you offer.
@adriver you told me a few things i had no idea about. When i bought the speakers i figured if i bought all 4 infinity speakers of the same size they would be fairly well matched.
I bought the amp because it was 4ch name brand and had good reviews.
The Infinity basslink mini i bought because i did not want to rattle my windows or have a big box taking up space.
I will probably install all this for now so i can get the wires all run. Part placement where i want it and to make sure the installation will work as it should with what i have.
Swapping parts out later will be easier as i just want to get it done and with winter coming i don't want to do at 20 degrees and snowing sideways.
I have a little cash for a stereo upgrade now.
So it sounds like i should try to get a few different components. The HU can work for now
I know i want 4 door speakers. Im not against using 6X9's. I have seen where they can be made to fit the stock location with modification Or maybe 6.5 round speakers with the front having separate tweeters and rear being just mid's.
I think this will take either a 4ch amp or maybe two amps for front and rear and 4 new speakers.
Am i thinking correct?

@Joseph Garcia Yeah for sure good info.
Im not against a sub like you show but would rather not have that if i can get away without it.

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Reaction score
Of the name brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine and such what would be a good HU under $400?
I don't care about Sirius. I generally listen to Pandora Classic Rock Bluetooth from phone. I need NAV, 4CH with Sub output.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo