Spark plug wires, which ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle: Chevy Tahoe 2001 4x4 LT 5.3

Guys, my spark plug wires are worn, prolly still the factory ones haha. Kinda forgot about them, did new spark plugs last year, need new wires before tuning it and stuff, want everything proper and checked, but since I'm in the Netherlands, I'm limited. But Rockauto.com is a proper site where I can see how much it will cost me in total with shipping and taxes included.

Obviously searched the forum and saw ACDelco coming by: part nr: 9748HH. See different stories about that on the internet. Any other suggestions I can look into? And do I always need heat shields on the wires or are there also different variants? The info is often so vague that I don't know it anymore haha. Please help

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or Edelbrock? i've some options, just twice the money.... https://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-22...4-2-145-104-&vehicleName=2001+Chevrolet+Tahoe

EDIT: I read on this forum someone with Taylor Spiro Pro: https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Cable...4-2-145-104-&vehicleName=2001+Chevrolet+Tahoe

Or is OEM the best? Also with with some bolt on tuning things in mind? Like BBP tune and MIT, exhaust, and when the money tree grows, I want to make this Tahoe stand out in the Dutch scene. Just made a challenge for myself :) :)

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle: Chevy Tahoe 2001 4x4 LT 5.3

Guys, my spark plug wires are worn, prolly still the factory ones haha. Kinda forgot about them, did new spark plugs last year, need new wires before tuning it and stuff, want everything proper and checked, but since I'm in the Netherlands, I'm limited. But Rockauto.com is a proper site where I can see how much it will cost me in total with shipping and taxes included.

Obviously searched the forum and saw ACDelco coming by: part nr: 9748HH. See different stories about that on the internet. Any other suggestions I can look into? And do I always need heat shields on the wires or are there also different variants? The info is often so vague that I don't know it anymore haha. Please help

Thanks in advance.

I run the AC Delco 9748HH set from RA on mine, installed at 101K on the clock, right about 2 years ago. No issues at all; I'd use them again.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the AC Delco 9748HH set from RA on mine, installed at 101K on the clock, right about 2 years ago. No issues at all; I'd use them again.
Thanks for the reply. AC Delco will be like $70sh for me because of sending and taxes.

MSD wires seem to be good to? My exhaust dealer has a universal set for $115,20. Which is on the expensive side though. I can make them same length as stock, but will self made wires be as good as out of the factory?
https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-581635...er-conductor-spark-plug-wire-sets-universeel/

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to beat OEM wires if the first set is 20 years old.
Well I'm guessing looking at wires and heatshields. Shields prolly need to be new also..

+1 for the OEM ACDelco wires. The only aftermarket wires I've ever had good luck with was Taylor. Heat shields are definitely recommended. They're not a wear item so they don't need to be replaced unless they're damaged.
You mean this set from Taylor? This will be $102 ish; https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Cable...e=2001+Chevrolet+Tahoe&tag=tahoeyukonforum-20

And does this set need heat shields? I looks the won't fit?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. AC Delco will be like $70sh for me because of sending and taxes.

MSD wires seem to be good to? My exhaust dealer has a universal set for $115,20. Which is on the expensive side though. I can make them same length as stock, but will self made wires be as good as out of the factory?
https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-581635...er-conductor-spark-plug-wire-sets-universeel/
i wouldn't run msd products on anything. had nothing but problems with thier parts ive used in the past and they just fought me on thier refund/replacement until i gave up. ive had nothing but luck with taylor products so ive stuck with those. accel offered a real nice spark plug wire for header applications but i cant find those anymore. either way acdelco or taylor for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan