Spark plug wires, which ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Steven said, the stock wires will serve you quite well. You aren't sacrificing anything nor will you be gaining anything with fancier wires, other than aesthetics. If appearance of the ignition wires is worth the extra expense to you, then have at it.

If I recall correctly, @Rocket Man HAD to get aftermarket wires due to his headers, and MSD was the only ones that fit well enough to not burn on the header tubes. Completely irrelevant in your case.
Who says I'm not getting headers in the future? :D And since my original spark plugs survived 300.000 kms I just past, the difference for me will only be 20 bucks compared to MSD, because I can get them in the Netherlands, same shop where my exhaust will come from. The MSD Super Conductors are 2 inch longer, which can make the difference in space yes. For now OEM would be enough, but I might go for MSD for the color and warranty because I can buy this in the Netherlands. If I get a broken wire out of the US, after paying more for sending and taxes then the product itself, it would really suck. And here I can hop in the car for 30 miles and be at that shop if something is wrong and two year warranty. They also have Taylor wires. And Accel. And no ACDelco, so will ask the reason why to him also.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I decided. I'm going for the MSD's. Just called the shop and the guy said he always sells these wires for the 5.3s, since they are better and never had bad experience with them. Everybody has his own opinion. But warranty is a big thing for me also, and that is nearby. And I decided as my build goes on, I want the decals to be red/grey/black in the engine :) my Tahoe is my work truck but also my hobby. And as we have as excuse in the Netherlands: A hobby may cost some money'' :D

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to 2nd the other opinions of sticking with OEM ACDelco plugs and wires. Get a good set of heat protectors/plug wire covers. DEI makes some really good products, and if you’re running anything other than standard manifold I highly suggest them in addition to their header/exhaust wrap. Take your time with the latter product and give yourself extra length when doing the wrapping. Much easier when it’s done off the vehicle as opposed to headers that are already mounted.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 0.2 cents, Go OEM Packard(Delphi, AC Delco).

In case of tuning I would suggest Taylor wires, or MSD.

I'm running Taylor 10.4mm wires with OEM AC Delco coils and OEM IR spark plugs

https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-57975068/bougiekabels/8-5mm-super-conductor-spark-plug-wire-sets/
Tanks for the input guys. :) Since I can't get those originals in Europe, it doesn't cost much more to buy the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductors in a local American shop who has them in stock and no complaints about them. They are a bit longer because they fit 4.8, 5.3 or the 6.0. But MSD does not have them in 10 inch. But 2 inch longer won't be a trouble. Secondly they don't need heat shields. And since mine are still factory, wires and heat shields, I probably have to change a few heat shields too. And have the warranty. Since I got new spark plugs, the motor runs great again. Unfortunately I don't have much pictures of the maintenance last year, but this is how my bougies looked like:

IMG_3497.JPEG IMG_3499.JPEG

Not sure if they where factory... I now run NGK's as far as I know, I think copper because I don't believe in lifetime sparks so will change them more often then the manuals says anyway. And tuning is indeed part of the build.

diLucca

Reaction score
https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-57975068/bougiekabels/8-5mm-super-conductor-spark-plug-wire-sets/
Tanks for the input guys. :) Since I can't get those originals in Europe, it doesn't cost much more to buy the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductors in a local American shop who has them in stock and no complaints about them. They are a bit longer because they fit 4.8, 5.3 or the 6.0. But MSD does not have them in 10 inch. But 2 inch longer won't be a trouble. Secondly they don't need heat shields. And since mine are still factory, wires and heat shields, I probably have to change a few heat shields too. And have the warranty. Since I got new spark plugs, the motor runs great again. Unfortunately I don't have much pictures of the maintenance last year, but this is how my bougies looked like:

View attachment 267847 View attachment 267848

Not sure if they where factory... I now run NGK's as far as I know, I think copper because I don't believe in lifetime sparks so will change them more often then the manuals says anyway. And tuning is indeed part of the build.

Not that bad as mine :D

ACDelco are reboxed NGK.

IMG_20200409_132646.jpg

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to 2nd the other opinions of sticking with OEM ACDelco plugs and wires. Get a good set of heat protectors/plug wire covers. DEI makes some really good products, and if you’re running anything other than standard manifold I highly suggest them in addition to their header/exhaust wrap. Take your time with the latter product and give yourself extra length when doing the wrapping. Much easier when it’s done off the vehicle as opposed to headers that are already mounted.
He mate, I don't completely understand your advice. Stick with OEM or not? And I thought of heatshields for the MSD wires for these: https://www.ajspeedshop.nl/a-46893345/bougiekabels/8x-titanium-bougiedop-heat-protector/ but the dude said it is not necessary. But aside from that, could you explain it in a other words/way so I understand your reply :) ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844