Alternative method to access spare tire hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewtx154

Reaction score
So since purchasing the my 02 Tahoe over a year ago, I haven't been able to gain access to my spare tire. Luckily (and knocking on a huge chunk of wood right now!!) I haven't needed to as of yet. But in saying that I cannot let much more time go by without being prepared for the day when I may actually need to get my tire down. I have tried all the ways I've read about, watched videos on, etc... Problem is that my spare tire is lifted up to the highest possible position it can be but it will not lower down a millimeter whatsoever. If I could get it at least a few inches down then I could possibly work with that and figure out how to manage it out. But it won't budge. So I'm thinking of removing the tow hitch assembly and bumper to hopefully be able to get to the hoist to replace? I'm just wondering if doin that will actually get me the ability to remove the hoist or not? Would hate to do all that to realize it's not possible. Or I was thinking if somehow I could cut the cable the tire is lifted with but again getting to the cable with the necessary tools seems highly unlikely. Anyone have any experience with this or have any good advice to help me get this resolved? Thanks in advance

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine to the local tire place and purchased a new spare, myself...

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My spare was also stuck on my 03. I just crawled underneath with a long extension and swivel and took the 10mm bolt out of the hoist. It's the only bolt that holds the tire hoist to the frame. I went through one of the open slots in the spare tire. It took awhile but I was able to get it down--hoist and all.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a issue with my tool and used a adjustable wrench on the crank until it came down

OP
OP
drewtx154

drewtx154

Reaction score
My spare was also stuck on my 03. I just crawled underneath with a long extension and swivel and took the 10mm bolt out of the hoist. It's the only bolt that holds the tire hoist to the frame. I went through one of the open slots in the spare tire. It took awhile but I was able to get it down--hoist and all.
Last time I was looking for that single bolt I couldn't find/see it through the wheel slots...

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Last time I was looking for that single bolt I couldn't find/see it through the wheel slots...
It's been a few years since I've done it, but as far as I remember there’s only 1 bolt that holds the hoist to the underside. Have you tried jacking up the rear-end and really looking under there? It'll help you if you also use some jackstands. I guarantee you'll find it. 20200727_191259.jpg20200727_191331.jpg20200727_202534.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar