Some 2016 GM models cut powertrain warranty from 100K to 60K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to have cam and lifters replaced on my 2008 5.3 Suburban at almost 5 years and 70,000 miles. That's over a $5000 repair (at a dealership albeit) that was covered under the 100k power train warranty and would now no longer be covered. So you know what I think GM should keep doing.

So @15GMCSLE, in this guys case, if he only had a 60k warranty...you guys at the service department would "stand behind them and their vehicle" if he was "a dealer loyal customer that maintains their vehicle"? The dealership would eat those cost? Are you really telling me this???

I find that extremely hard to believe...

15GMCSLE

No I would not eat the cost. But if he's a loyal customer, not a guy thats in all the time but does close to regular maintenance, doesn't come in screaming and demanding, I have an obligation to help him. It may be 30, 40, 50, 60 percent of the repair cost. Repeated problems that are true problems, not problems from driving 12k between oil changes, I will help him completely. Even at a 60k warranty, what other product in the entire world can you buy that will stand behind you like that?

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@15GMCSLE ...my product NOW beats that! 100k mile warranty beats it all day. Instead of "30, 40, 50, 60 percent", I'll take 100%! That's my whole point in this. Again, I have never had any type of experience where a dealer has offered to take ANY of the cost! And yes, I do maintain my vehicles...very well in fact!

Like you said, no need to argue. Sounds like your one of the good ones in the service departments! I applaud you. By the way, I also have a 15 GMC SLE and I LOVE IT!

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aaaaaand just like that...

Fiat Chrysler will abandon its 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty in the United States for the 2016 model year in favor of a 5-year/60,000-mile guarantee.

The move follows a similar change in March by General Motors, which reduced the 5-year powertrain warranties on its Chevrolet and GMC vehicles from 100,000 to 60,000 miles.

“Following changes already made by competitors, FCA US is adjusting powertrain warranty coverage for 2016 model year vehicles to be more consistent with industry practices,” FCA said in a statement to Automotive News. “For 2016MY, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram Truck vehicles with gasoline engines will be covered by a 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.”

An FCA spokeswoman said that the automaker’s basic bumper-to-bumper warranty will remain at 3 years/36,000 miles. Fiat vehicles come with a 4-year/50,000-mile warranty.
Chrysler Reducing Warranty to 60,000.. Just like GM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts