So I finally changed my plugs and wires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any problems getting the old plugs out? Sometimes they just don't want to come out seems like. Put anything on the new plug's threads?
I didn’t use any antisieze. Or anything on threads. They came out easy and went in easy. I turned them until they tighten and than one More crank for good measures. I used the dielectric grease on the wires.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Many spark plug manufacturers don't recommend using antiseize, since the thread coatings are made to do just that, and it can alter the torque applied when installing (which could cause thread stretching or failure).

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many spark plug manufacturers don't recommend using antiseize, since the thread coatings are made to do just that, and it can alter the torque applied when installing (which could cause thread stretching or failure).
Yea that’s what I was reading. They say to reduce torque 10-15% if using it.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will add that if you’re not sure about doing
Your plugs and wires. Do it. It’s easy. Just do one at a time. I don’t think you can even really mess the firing order up on thess LS engines bc they have individual coil packs. You’d have to really not be paying attention to mess this job up.

GlennSullivan

Reaction score
174k and those are pre gapped. I think they are the same plugs that are in 2010 Camaro.

I replaced them with ones for the Tahoe Instead which are also pre gapped from factory. Either .35 or .40mm I believe. I could be wrong
1716823838481.png
Unless it is the angle of the picture, what I'm seeing is way more than .040. Oh and by the way, don't believe the "pre-gapped" B/S. I did my Z06 Corvette last winter and purchased "Pre-Gapped AC/Delco plugs and the gaps were all over the place - supposed to be .040.

Gearz

Reaction score
The top end of my 5.3 was not feeling like it was getting enough gas like getting on the highway so at 130k I replaced both pre cat oxygen sensors and the engine woke up like crazy. Oxygen sensors do have a life span and will slowly die without a check engine light. Give it a try if you feel like it’s low on power or your over 100k and you will be surprised what happens!

enginehead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any problems getting the old plugs out? Sometimes they just don't want to come out seems like. Put anything on the new plug's threads?
I changed the plugs on my 2010 5.3L back in September, it had about 135,000 miles. not problem getting the plug to break loose, only issue was accessibility on the passenger side rear 2, got a little tight, but I am a mechanic and was doing it on a lift and found going from under the engine was easier. I didn't put anything on the threads when I went in either.

only time I have seen spark plugs stick is in Ford engines, or with people who wash their engine regularly and the spark plug oxidizes to the head. you know, steel spark plug, aluminum head, different metals having electricity travel through them causes problems when they have water added regularly.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top end of my 5.3 was not feeling like it was getting enough gas like getting on the highway so at 130k I replaced both pre cat oxygen sensors and the engine woke up like crazy. Oxygen sensors do have a life span and will slowly die without a check engine light. Give it a try if you feel like it’s low on power or your over 100k and you will be surprised what happens!
Noted. Where are all o2 sensors located ? I’ll look for the pre cat sensors.

Gearz

Reaction score
Pre O2 sensors are up next to the exhaust manifolds and the post are after the cat converters. Pre will have to do with drivability not post. Post is only used to monitor the converters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdadair

Latest posts