So I finally changed my plugs and wires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought them last summer and just now getting to them. I have a few questions. It was a pretty easy but I noticed some of the plugs tips were ashy red, some were ashy white and some had oil on the threads. At 175k my dad keeps saying it’s normal for high miles. Need a second opinion. I was gonna hit the o2 sensors next.

IMG_3599.png
In this photo the plug has all three symptoms: oil, white and red ash on tip.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to Google what the red tip is from.

that plug is rough, but also no telling how long it's been in there. I would put a catch can on it soon and check whatever the worse plug was in the next 5k to 10k miles to get a feel for how bad the oil burn is.

does it at least run better with new plugs?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have to Google what the red tip is from.

that plug is rough, but also no telling how long it's been in there. I would put a catch can on it soon and check whatever the worse plug was in the next 5k to 10k miles to get a feel for how bad the oil burn is.

does it at least run better with new plugs?
Yea seems to be running a lot smoother and even shifting a lot smoother. Idk how to explain but the acceleration feels much smoother and not as rough or uneven if that makes sense. The nice gentleman who was nice enough to show me how to change my plugs and wires says it could just do too high mileage, he thinks the red tips might be from E85.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
red color I thought was fuel additives. Google (Rick's free auto advice) tells me it's a type of octane booster..

Octane booster causes a red tint on spark plug electrodes and insulator discoloration

If a fuel additive contains an iron component, it can cause red deposits on the insulator nose, center electrode, and side electrode. The iron coating is electrically conductive and can cause misfiring.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that is some big gap, how many miles are on them / the vehicle?
174k and those are pre gapped. I think they are the same plugs that are in 2010 Camaro.

I replaced them with ones for the Tahoe Instead which are also pre gapped from factory. Either .35 or .40mm I believe. I could be wrong

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
red color I thought was fuel additives. Google (Rick's free auto advice) tells me it's a type of octane booster..

Octane booster causes a red tint on spark plug electrodes and insulator discoloration

If a fuel additive contains an iron component, it can cause red deposits on the insulator nose, center electrode, and side electrode. The iron coating is electrically conductive and can cause misfiring.

Right and there’s no telling what the owners before me were running or if they even changed the spark plugs and wires at all. So I guess time will tell. I’ll run it for about 10 or 15 K and then pull one of the plugs and see what’s going on.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any problems getting the old plugs out? Sometimes they just don't want to come out seems like. Put anything on the new plug's threads?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
174k and those are pre gapped. I think they are the same plugs that are in 2010 Camaro.

I replaced them with ones for the Tahoe Instead which are also pre gapped from factory. Either .35 or .40mm I believe. I could be wrong

Probably 0.040 INCHES and not mm. .40mm would be hardly any gap at all, 0.016".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericbath

Latest posts