Smashed Spark Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also had someone else tell me it was a lost cause because putting a new head on my old block would cause excessive oil consumption and somehow damage valves....

Sounds like BS to me, but what yall think?

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would those be good enough to examine the cylinder wall?

I wonder how good the resolution really os

I picked one up on eBay. It’s fair, I wouldn’t call it HD. But it would work fine for looking at a piston. eBay has a long shipping time as it came from China. About 3 weeks.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best you can hope for is the ceramic on plug cracked because the idiot dropped it and didn't throw it away. When piston came up it pounded that loose piece into electrode smashing plug and likely marking piston top. Worst is cracked or holed piston or Bent valve. Make sure to look at valves when open also. Compression test necessary too. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best you can hope for is the ceramic on plug cracked because the idiot dropped it and didn't throw it away. When piston came up it pounded that loose piece into electrode smashing plug and likely marking piston top. Worst is cracked or holed piston or Bent valve. Make sure to look at valves when open also. Compression test necessary too. Let us know what you find.

No compression on that cylinder.
Cylinder #1 was about 150... Didn't check 2 or 3

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's what I was thinking lol considering a plug was cross threaded, when I was young and dumb (versus old and dumb now) I had a mazda wagon I stripped a plug thread, so I went and bought a thread adapter (basically a leave in tap) only I used one that was too short all was well installing it, got it in put the plug in, fired it up and as soon as I backed out of the driveway BAM loud ass noise and engine got real loud, shut it off and found the adapter had blown out and the spark plug was dangling on the wire on the other side of the engine lol, so I went back and bought the longer adapter and that fixed that problem, I didn't care at the time I am sure I dropped a bit of aluminum down inside the motor threading the adapter in I just cleaned up what I could, it drove pretty good even though I beat on that thing and did other stuff to it I think I had jammed the vacuum advance on that thing as well always ran great until I was forced to sell it because I got in a accident without insurance and when I went to court I made a deal with the judge if I sold the car would that satisfy the court, judge said yes so off it went, I just turned around and bought another car lol.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No compression most likely a holed piston. If cylinder looks good AND its a low mile motor you might get 50k more miles out of it changing piston. May be better to look for a totalled truck as a donor motor. Or add that LS motor on the stand in the garage!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645