Slick 50 engine treatment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a sticky lifter in my '69 Mustang's 351 Windsor and I've been procrastinating on pulling off the top end of the engine to replace it.

First, I tried substituting a quart of oil for Slick 50 just for the hell of it and it did absolutely nothing....

On the next oil change I tried Seafoam in the crankcase and it did nothing....

Then after a couple oil changes I substituted a quart of oil for a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it did WONDERS!!! I definitely recommend Lucas... The lifter is still making a little noise but nowhere NEAR the racket it made before.

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucas oil stabilizer definetly will thicken your oil up... i put 1 qt in w/ 5 qts of valvoline synpower 5w-30..when i sent my oil sample in to a lab.. it showed up as a 40 weight...so 1qt increased the high temp weight. Plus it is some really sticky stuff and does stay up in the heads longer than just oil.

As far as additives to stay away from... ANYTHING w/ Teflon or PTFE in it is CRAP!!!. It has been known to actually CLOG oil passages and result in bearing failures.

But being in the oil change business... i think if you change your oil regularly it will do just as much good as running some fancy additive or special oil. Same goes with filters... AC delco filters are made by 4 companies...which are the 4 companies that make every other mass produced filter on the market(the same 4 make motorcraft and mopar filters too). Same goes with oil any more there is like 4 or 5 big companies that produce all the motor oil...then they bottle it under there different brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924