Side post terminal issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i know it’s a common problem to have but now it’s actually giving me trouble.
My truck kept trying to run purely on the alternator and almost didn’t start when I left work yesterday I have a aftermarket positive side post so I’m gonna need a replacement battery with standard top posts.
I’m trying to pick a good battery I was looking at xs power but I was scared of those threaded top posts repeating my issue the battery is perfectly fine that I have now it’s just that the terminal keeps unscrewing itself is the best i can do a optima or everlast something like that?

Lead acid or lithium doesn’t matter to me it just needs to be a great battery I heard of people tapping side posts and making them have bigger screws but I don’t wanna mess around with batteries I know I will have to change the terminals to clamp terminals which have their own problems but they have easier solutions like being able to crank them as tight as you want or a tin spacer or new clamp

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery is ratchet strapped down because I think the previous owner got the wrong battery or lost parts for the battery hold down the ratchet strap was just added today to hopefully delay a new battery for A while atleast
image.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure why the long bolt is needed, but you could add a jam nut (and a washer) to the bolt, and after the bolt is tightened to the battery, run the jam nut up to the battery contact.

Also the battery has a larger surface for contact and you're losing that by using just a bolt in the terminal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why the long bolt is needed, but you could add a jam nut (and a washer) to the bolt, and after the bolt is tightened to the battery, run the jam nut up to the battery contact.

Also the battery has a larger surface for contact and you're losing that by using just a bolt in the terminal.
I got that long one so I could add a audio amp without having to get specific hardware like listed and they only had that size in stock and didn’t wanna chop it down due to the gold plating corrosion resistant protection, the factory positive side is stripped out from the previous owner

I was having issues with the stock one even, I saw a video doing that but i tried that previously and it didn’t repair it, it just made the stripping worse the negative side is mint but the positive side is stripped like hell and that brought me to this point of needing a new battery or buying those side post adapters and making it secure somehow

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EFEE9A8E-8770-4E91-8BF9-0B14535F5C8F.png

I’m thinking of marine terminals because I’ve never had a single issue with these besides corrosion but that’s a quick fix

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an Optima Red Top from NAPA three years ago and very happy with it.
It was only 18 months old when I had to sell the Jeep I had originally installed this in, so I got top-post adapter clamps. Maybe not ideal setup, but the battery has been 100% solid for three years so far, even in the coldest weather.

It is a coiled AGM battery.
1000 cranking amps & 800 Cold Cranking Amps

It was stamped 9/20. I got it in 10/20.

20201023_190410.jpg
Here is with the adapter clamps in my 04 Tahoe...
20220619_073918.jpg

Lesson learned: DO NOT try to over-tighten the side connection bolts! The threaded holes on the side are designed to strip out rather than strip the threads on the cable bolts. The ones on the posts you can get really tight, just the other ones should not go to town on tightening...

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an Optima Red Top from NAPA three years ago and very happy with it.
It was only 18 months old when I had to sell the Jeep I had originally installed this in, so I got top-post adapter clamps. Maybe not ideal setup, but the battery has been 100% solid for three years so far, even in the coldest weather.

It is a coiled AGM battery.
1000 cranking amps & 800 Cold Cranking Amps

It was stamped 9/20. I got it in 10/20.

View attachment 398059
Here is with the adapter clamps in my 04 Tahoe...
View attachment 398061

Lesson learned: DO NOT try to over-tighten the side connection bolts! The threaded holes on the side are designed to strip out rather than strip the threads on the cable bolts. The ones on the posts you can get really tight, just the other ones should not go to town on tightening...
Do you think i can get away with marine adapters straight to the ring? I keep seeing stuff on wire length issues if there is a length issue i can add a extension bar or something I also have a 1/0 car audio amp wire plumbed to the battery still need to do the big 3 upgrade and dual alternator I’m debating the red top just because I like red

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think i can get away with marine adapters straight to the ring? I keep seeing stuff on wire length issues if there is a length issue i can add a extension bar or something I also have a 1/0 car audio amp wire plumbed to the battery still need to do the big 3 upgrade and dual alternator I’m debating the red top just because I like red
I don't see why not. Put longer bolts in to make room for fat connectors on the accessories.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Military-style clamps like these actually provide more solid backing for multiple accessory cable connections... The fat block on the accessory side of the clamp won't cave in on you. Something like these would be much better.

I would do these on top. You can also swap out longer bolts, if you need more room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts