Should I take a 3000 miles road trip w/ 144k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 144k miles and wondering if I should take the this car or rent a car on a 3000 mile road trip this summer. I do all the basic maintenance; Mobil 1 oil, already changed power steering fluid, flushed brake fluid; tranny and radiator flushed; all spark plugs replaced. Has original engine belt, starter etc. It has been very reliable since bought new. Just finished a 1000 trip no issues. If I take this Tahoe, what preemptive service or part replacements are recommended?
I took a 14 hour round trip pulling a car trailer with my 300,000+ mile Tahoe not too long ago and a trip to the Rocky Mountains 9 hours one way earlier last year

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2010 Tahoe LTZ with 144k miles and wondering if I should take the this car or rent a car on a 3000 mile road trip this summer. I do all the basic maintenance; Mobil 1 oil, already changed power steering fluid, flushed brake fluid; tranny and radiator flushed; all spark plugs replaced. Has original engine belt, starter etc. It has been very reliable since bought new. Just finished a 1000 trip no issues. If I take this Tahoe, what preemptive service or part replacements are recommended?

Have some faith in this rig. With proper care, that 144K miles is nothing. That's pushing it on the stock belt, though. Replace it and the A/C belt before you go. Note that the A/C belt is likely a stretch type that doesn't use a tensioner. Don't even try to be creative with screwdrivers, etc. Get the tool or have a shop do it (or loan you the tool and you do it in the parking lot if they're cool like that). AFM is the only real concern with these. Being a 2010, yours might (should?) have all the latest updated parts available for this generation. The key is to keep clean quality oil in it. Don't go by what the DIC says. Or, if you insist on doing so, change the oil around when it says 50% Oil Life Remaining. I'd go by appearance first and foremost.

I was near 220K when I went on a 2,000-mile round trip to Florida last November. Beat on it for the two years prior and kinda beat on it while going to, driving around and returning from Florida, including sustained 90+ MPH cruising and ~140 MPH jaunts. I'd take it again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure why not, I have taken longer trips on much higher mileage
as long as you have actually done the maintenance, the one thing I would address at that mileage if it hasn't been done already is the heater hose "t"'s and hoses
if they are 13 years old they are beyond there useful life and subject to break at anytime.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as said, do the belts. maybe change fluids if you've been putting it off. make sure your tires are good. and stuff like that.

only thing that would be really bad to fail on a trip is the afm lifters. if you have either turned it off, or kept up with good oil changes. just ride on.

I had 140k on mine and took it in a 2k mile trip towing a car on a trialed. it did fine, but I do have the afm turned off because it worries me. did all the fluids before I went, don't think the previously owner ever did the t case or front and rear diff. both looked pretty bad coming out. the t case was down right scary, like black water and metal on the magnet, but it seems fine now and since mines is a bit of a electrical contraption, I took my tech 2 scanner and access to prodamand troubling shooting software haha. one of those better to have it and not need it things.

Jhwhite05

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Yukon XL with 260k and we regularly do 2000+ mile road trips multiple times per year.

My two cents are, if you have confidence in your maintenance history and you are reasonably aware of your vehicles current issues …go for it!!

Additionally, beyond what others have mentioned, having a thorough emergency car kit has been a help
to us over the years with an older car.

Hope that helps! Tell us how it goes!

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 274,000 miles on my 2007 Tahoe 5.3 LTZ and I would not think twice about going on a 3000 or 5000 mile trip. Matter of fact Last summer I went on a 3280 mile trip to Bozeman MT without a hitch. Of course it really depends on your truck, how well it is maintained, and if you are showing issues.

rcorwin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took my 2007 Yukon XL Denali with 282,000 miles on it, on a 2500 mile round trip with my 3 buddies and all our gear for the Daytona 500 Speedweeks. Now I’m always up on maintenance and checked everything over pretty thoroughly and we had no troubles. I was a little concerned since we drive the 1000 miles (18 hours) straight but the beast ran flawlessly. I’ve owed it for nearly 200,000 of those miles, so I know just about every noise it ever makes. If you are up on the maintenance, tires are in good shape, oil changed, battery good. I would take it. My wife and I took a 7,000 mile trip to California and back (we live in Indiana) with our 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe that had 150,000 miles on it. No problems and we did that trip in 13 days. If the unit drives well and preforms well everyday, it take it. If you’re having problems, don’t rely on it!

Autowholesale

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rent