1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I or shouldn't i

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by jimr5454, Oct 27, 2020.

  1. jimr5454

    jimr5454 Member

    Age:
    54
    Posts:
    83
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2014
    Name:
    jim
    So I posted about a truck im interested in earlier with a video of the below mentioned sound that i found as we were talking when I taped the gass peddle very quickly and it made a internal rattle the gmc dealer tried to say its a normal sound I knew better .it wasnt every time and it was only right when you pushed the gass quickly from a idle position.
    I took it a independent machanic and he agrees it was Not normal and related to the known valve issue possibly at least. the gmc dealer then took it inside and agreed it was not normal .
    Upon checking it will be repaired under the powertrain warranty .
    Long story short.
    They can't get it in to be fixed til next week and
    Won't hold it for me till the repair is complete.
    So it is what I wanted and have looked for some time to find it but am unsure if I should buy it before the issue is repaired ?
    they say it is perfectly fine to drive until the repair can be performed.
    Any advice .
    Should I buy it now before or hope its still there after repairs?
    Thank you very much for any input.
     
  2. PNW VietVet

    PNW VietVet Supporting Member

    Age:
    67
    Posts:
    6,918
    Likes Received:
    6,033
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2014
    Location:
    Oregon
    Name:
    Ron
    If that is the only concern and the dealer will fix that concern for free, if you want it bad enough, well, go for it. I am assuming you cannot find other problems with the rig?
     
    wjburken likes this.
  3. jimr5454

    jimr5454 Member

    Age:
    54
    Posts:
    83
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2014
    Name:
    jim
    Nope .he found a oil leak on a vacuume pump of some sort showed it to me while it was on the rack and that is being fixed as well...
    I'm sure I could find another truck but how long would it take.thats my concern .
     
  4. wjburken

    wjburken Supporting Member

    Age:
    48
    Posts:
    5,521
    Likes Received:
    11,109
    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2017
    Location:
    Eastern Iowa
    Name:
    Wade
    Sounds to me like the dealer is willing to work with you on this. I say go for it.
     
    PNW VietVet likes this.
  5. jimr5454

    jimr5454 Member

    Age:
    54
    Posts:
    83
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2014
    Name:
    jim
    Thank you for responding..its a fairly big amount of money just don't want to do anything obviously stupid that I just aren't seeing.
     
  6. PNW VietVet

    PNW VietVet Supporting Member

    Age:
    67
    Posts:
    6,918
    Likes Received:
    6,033
    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2014
    Location:
    Oregon
    Name:
    Ron
    What ever you do make sure to get complete documentation of all the work done.
     
  7. CMoore711

    CMoore711 Full Access Member

    Posts:
    560
    Likes Received:
    362
    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2017
    Name:
    Chad
    I'll be honest... The position the dealer is taking with you is pretty shitty and quite unprofessional in my opinion. They have a vehicle for sale that clearly needs some repairs, but for you pointing it out to them it'd still be sitting on the lot in its's current condition. You're a buyer who's interested in the vehicle, they can't perform the necessary repairs to get it into correct operating condition for another week and they want you to commit to buy a vehicle right now that needs repaired before they can complete the repairs needed?

    I would ask the dealer about the selling price of this vehicle: Ask them if their asking price is for a vehicle in good mechanical condition operating as it should with no known mechanical issues? When they say "Yes". Then tell them based on the repairs that are needing to be performed and the clear known mechanical issues that your service department has found and are documented it doesn't sound like their asking price reflects the current condition of the vehicle at the time that they'd like you to pay for it. Then tell them that if they want you to buy the vehicle before they perform the repairs then the price needs to be adjusted to reflect the current mechanical condition of the vehicle.

    It's not on you to prove your willing to pay for a vehicle that clearly needs repairs. It's on the dealer to offer a vehicle for sale for an appropriate price that reflects the condition of the vehicle.

    It's quite common that an issue is pointed out to a dealership that needs repaired and the dealership performs what they consider is the correct repair only later to find out that the issue still exists. We've all experienced that.

    If you really want the vehicle at most I would offer a $500 refundable deposit until the vehicle is repaired and put into normal operating condition that justifies their asking price for the vehicle.

    And side note. What'd you think the chances are of the dealership performing the necessary repairs if you decide to walk away from the deal right now? Any dealership thinking that the position they're taking is right in any way would be more likely to put that vehicle back on the lot and cross their fingers that the next interested buyer doesn't discover the same issues you did.
     
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Fless, sealandsky, Bob2C and 3 others like this.
  8. jimr5454

    jimr5454 Member

    Age:
    54
    Posts:
    83
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2014
    Name:
    jim
     
  9. jimr5454

    jimr5454 Member

    Age:
    54
    Posts:
    83
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2014
    Name:
    jim
    Thank you for your response I appreciate the you took out of your day..
     
  10. jimr5454

    jimr5454 Member

    Age:
    54
    Posts:
    83
    Likes Received:
    3
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2014
    Name:
    jim

    I do hope they did not know and normally I would think walk away there will be another but before I pointed it out they were great.
    Although this is a really good wake up call for people that even certified vehicals still need to be closely looked at as this is certified and I found a small but definatly there oil leak behind a vacuume pump and this lifter issue.but all else looks great. I did offer a deposit situation but I was told that it is common for people to walk away after they have held the vehical for a week even more.
    So I think I'll ask for a $500 discount and a $250 Non refundable cc deposit.
    I dont think its odd that I also think I should ask for a copy of the service ticket so I can know what they did to correct whatever this issue turns into.
     
    Joseph Garcia likes this.

Share This Page