Should I go dual battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dahoe06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 06 Tahoe z71 and I want to add a better radio and better speakers and put in a wall outlet like a 110v socket in. I figured I wouldn’t need dual battery for the radio and speakers, but should I get it if I put in the outlet?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 06 Tahoe z71 and I want to add a better radio and better speakers and put in a wall outlet like a 110v socket in. I figured I wouldn’t need dual battery for the radio and speakers, but should I get it if I put in the outlet?

What do you plan to power with 110? GM put the 110 outlets in the minivans and they had but one battery.

OP
OP
Dahoe06

Dahoe06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dual batteries are not a bad idea, but make sure you have enough alternator capacity and cable size to keep up with the load as well.
My alternator is 160 amp is that enough for dual battery or do I need an upgrade?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My alternator is 160 amp is that enough for dual battery or do I need an upgrade?
You need to understand what the loads on your system will be. The batteries are simply a storage point for the power needed when the motor isn’t running. The Alternator is the power source that powers everything and charges your battery while the motor is running. If you are wanting more power to handle the added load of speakers and a 110V inverter, you need to do the math and determine the amp draw you will have and size the alternator appropriately to do all that and have enough extra to charge your batteries.

EDIT: After looking around, I think a 160A alternator should be enough as a base 2015 PPV shows as having a 170A alternator and they have a lot of stuff plugged in.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you plan to power with 110? GM put the 110 outlets in the minivans and they had but one battery.

I’m just planning on powering just everyday stuff like maybe computer chargers

Stock alternator is plenty. Our Montanas have 140-145 Amp alternators and we use the 110 outlets all the time without issue.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
160a is plenty if you can find one for a reasonable price most of the nbs upgraded ones are 145a but 160's are out there I had one on my 00, otherwise you have to go custom aftermarket, the ppv/ssv 07-14 are 160a, then they bumped them up to 170a on the 15+, my 18 Silverado was 160a with a factory 110 outlet but I put a 230a from a HD 3500 on it. i think all you have to worry about is the pin's on the alternator harness even a bigger case should still fit, pulley size may vary slightly my belt was tight but it went on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons