Should I be concerned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skizzot

Reaction score
2007 Tahoe 4WD

I offer the longer narrative so that you understand the workmanship of a national company and my concerns.

A few months ago I had the U-joints and control arms replaced as well as a complete alignment while in Omaha at Brakes Plus. (I generally do stuff myself, but I was in another state on contract work.) While doing the alignment they left the key in the on position which let the headlights stay on. This drained the battery and then they hooked up the jumper pack incorrectly. This set off every sensor fault code imaginable to man and it took them an hour (after they had closed) just to get the truck running. The fault codes could not be cleared from the Snap-On OBD tool and connecting - to + was the only thing that at least allowed the truck to start. (The codes were misfire on all cylinders, all O2 sensors, MAF, ....everything!)

I left Omaha the next day to pick up my boat in Missouri and noticed a vibration in the 65-70mph range. This then increased to the 60-70mph range. I latched on to my 5k pound boat and began the 5 hour drive back to Omaha. A couple hours into the drive the vibration got bad enough that I stopped in St. Joseph, MO and stayed in a hotel. I took the truck to Tires Plus and they were kind enough to let me in the repair bay to inspect everything. (I also love shops that have an absolute gear head on staff). Turns out that Brakes Plus failed to put the retainer clips on the rear U-joint and it was vibrating the caps off. Also noticed they couldn't fit the retainer c-clips on there because they had used the wrong U-Joints. Further, they had sweated the nylon pins out rather than using the Snap-On U-joint tool that would have broken through the pins. That's not a problem....BUT...they put the driveshaft in a bench vise while doing it and bent the driveshaft in two locations.

I now have a vibration at 80mph that can be attributed to the now out-of-balance driveshaft. I also notice that I don't go into V4 mode as often on the highway. My gas mileage has also decreased from 19mpg to 14mpg highway. The inherent clunk while shifting has also gotten louder.

I then drove to Colorado and took it to another Brakes Plus. They noticed and documented (in writing) the bent driveshaft caused by their other store. They lubed the control arms which the other store had failed to do and re-aligned the tires because that was also done wrong. I then drove to Florida towing 6500 pounds (I put all my gear in the boat.)

I will obviously be pursuing the replacement of the driveshaft. What should I be concerned about as far as damage caused while driving with the bent driveshaft? (Transmission, carrier bearing, rear end, etc.) Also, what concerns should I have with the electrical issue? Whenever I slow down the headlights dim quite noticeably and the blower slows at every downshift point. I'm assuming they fried my battery and I'll have to get it load tested.

I've linked to pics of the driveshaft and the U-Joint gap due to lack of retaining clip.

20131118_112310_zps1b27f578.gif

20131118_111731_zps7ad0315a.gif

20131118_095451_zpsed25609d.gif

20131118_095437_zps41c442ff.gif

20131118_095422_zpsdd0e1b2a.gif

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, what bone heads. Second, I would have never left Omaha with that kind of issue no matter what kind of time constraints I was under. I would have taken the truck the moment I noticed a problem. continuing to drive with that severe of vibration can destroy al kinds of internal parts. What I don't understand, why would you keep driving the truck all those miles loaded and towing knowing you have an Effed up driveshaft?
Why didn't you replace the driveshaft in St. Joseph and deal with the paperwork later?

That's just insane to me. I hope further problems are as bad as they could be...you will have more.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
X3. Well damn what's up with your frame looks worse than mine..

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Nvm I'm still asleep thought thatast pic had some frame. But still more rust than mine..

OP
OP
Skizzot

Skizzot

Reaction score
As for the rust....it's this truck! It only has 72k miles on it (20k in the past 6 months) and my 2000 Tahoe had 210k miles and driven through the same conditions. The difference is that the older Tahoe didn't have a spot of rust on it. (Sadly it was totaled by a dump truck after I dropped a new engine in it, which Geico allowed a generous $234 extra for.) I've found it odd myself and the dealer said it was "nothing to be concerned about" (go figure). It will be stripped down soon. I think it had to do with the undercoating that was put on everything.

As for replacing the drive shaft in St. Joseph....they don't stock them on the shelf. Really, how often have you replaced your drive shaft? When you have a six figure contract on the line that's when time constraints matter. I'm a catastrophe area project manager and unfortunately nature wouldn't wait for my truck to be repaired. But thanks for suggesting that some parts on my truck are more important than putting a roof over my head and food on the table. The shop in Colorado actually tried to locate one before I left there and it will be going to the dealer here. If they recommend a new tranny and rear end due to the usage....that's what it'll be getting at the shop's expense. I have a car and a 2500 truck as well, so it's been sitting in the driveway.

I was curious as to what components could be damaged by this, such as the torque management system, stabilitrak, differential, transmission, etc. My big concern is what they may have done to the electrical components and the potential for failures in the future.

Last edited:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skizzot,

Hey there! I am sorry to hear about your current vehicle situation. I understand that you may be looking for GM dealership in your area to have the vehicle serviced at. I would be happy to locate a dealership and set up an appointment for you. Please private message me referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike65