Should I consider buying a 2015+ Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noggles

Reaction score
Right now I have an 05 Tahoe which I like but age and the typical nbs issues (coolant seepage, abs pump issues, etc) and I am looking to upgrade. I found a 2015 Yukon with 147k on it locally that looks to be in very nice shape. Has all the options I want and they are asking just under $20k for it.

I know of the afm/dod issues which I would tune out or have tuned out immediately (I have HP Tuners myself) and would eventually get a cam swap to delete it completely. The listing says it’s a 6 speed truck (haven’t confirmed yet) so imo that’s better than the 8 speed. And the listing dealer has (according to carfax) just replaced both front struts (it has the smooth ride package so I’m assuming air ride) as well as other upkeep items.

What other major issues is there to look for? Are these trucks worth buying? I read online where they have tons and tons of issues aside from dod and trans stuff. Lots of issues with the body and interior and such. Should I limit myself to a 2010-2014 instead?

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also mulling moving up to a 2015+ in a year or two, but I need to understand the weaknesses of the 8-speed transmission vs. the 10-speed box.

I think they are fundamentally similar to the GMT900s, with minor engine improvements, but basically the same drivetrain/suspension.

OP
OP
N

Noggles

Reaction score
If you can afford the step up to one with a 10 speed then I highly suggest it. That trans is amazing. Sure it has some issues here and there but nothing like the 8 speed did and can easily be solved. Plus it always seems to be in just the right gear for what you need to do

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can afford the step up to one with a 10 speed then I highly suggest it. That trans is amazing. Sure it has some issues here and there but nothing like the 8 speed did and can easily be solved. Plus it always seems to be in just the right gear for what you need to do

Can you add some context to the issues with the 8-speed?

I know with the 6-speed, the weak link is the torque converter, which has the potential to fail, and wipe out the rest of the transmission, and it not specifically the transmission itself. i've never felt like I was in the wrong gear in my 6L80 until AFTER I got my BlackBear tune, which helped clean up a lot of the driveability issues.

OP
OP
N

Noggles

Reaction score
There have been I believe a few class action lawsuits over different 8 speed issues. Shuttering, slipping etc. I always understood it like the early 6 speed issues just more. Plus they are in relatively few vehicles compared to the 6 and 10 speeds so I feel like long term parts might be harder to get and/or more expensive

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
AC condenser will fail for 15/16/17 unless it has already been replaced.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8 speed is prone to shudder due to the wrong fluid in them from the factory. It will hold onto moisture and cause slippage. If the trans is flushed properly with the new fluid and a filter change it seems to make them work just fine (my experience). Plus my friend who's a heavy GM tech said they don't have the torque converter issues the 6 speed does. Personally, I like the 8 speed.

I also love the 6 speed in my 2008. If that one has the 6 speed, then delete the thermostat, flush it, filter change it, and then enjoy.

I don't have any experience with the 10 speed other than my F450..........and I kind of hate it. I feel like I'm on the set of THE FAST AND FURIOUS......always shifting. Maybe if I didn't have to hear 8-10 shifts EVERY time I take off would be better (ie: skip based on load). Maybe the half tons are different. (Co-developed with GM FYI)

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 147K miles I am almost sure all the issues with the 2015 Yukon all have been addressed.

On my 2016 Hoe the trans went out at 123K miles. The Condenser and Brake Booster went out at 80K miles.

The Thermostat on the other hand went out at 150K miles while I was on a road trip. Took it to the Chevrolet dealer and they were nice enough to give me loaner for a day while they fixed it.

OP
OP
N

Noggles

Reaction score
At 147K miles I am almost sure all the issues with the 2015 Yukon all have been addressed.

On my 2016 Hoe the trans went out at 123K miles. The Condenser and Brake Booster went out at 80K miles.

The Thermostat on the other hand went out at 150K miles while I was on a road trip. Took it to the Chevrolet dealer and they were nice enough to give me loaner for a day while they fixed it.
That’s actually a pretty interesting way to look at it. Thanks for this.

Are there any common rust areas to look out for on this gen? What about interior issues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar