Shaking in new '22 Yukon. Just breaking it in or a real problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShotGoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I was fortunate to find and purchase my first Yukon XL this month. I absolutely love driving it but I have one concern that I'm hoping others on here might have some insights about. Almost as soon as I took the car on the road (after purchasing) I started hearing a shaking that to me seemed to be 100% wheel imbalance (based on experience with previous cars with the same sound/feel, and that shaking going away after a rebalance). It seems to be of different intensity at different speeds, and it also seems to not occur in the same speed ranges each time I drive.

I took it in for service and the service guy experienced the same shaking/noise and ultimately decided on a full wheel rebalance. They said they took it out for a spin and declared it fixed, but as soon as I got on the road it seemed worse than before.

Other mechanics I've spoken with believe it's probably just the suspension "settling" or "breaking in" and that it should go away eventually. Not much difference if I engage 4H or keep on 2wd, breaking is smooth, sometimes I feel it in the steering wheel, and it seems to be better/worse on left/right curves on the freeway.

Does anyone have a clue if this is normal or if I should check out a different dealer to do my warranty service? The "new car" excitement is getting a little spoiled by this worry, but I can get over it if it's normal or if I can get a better idea what the problem could be.

Thank you!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I experienced this as well and ultimately it was a problem with permanent flat spots in my tires. You can read my full story in this thread. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...n-texas-for-months.138467/page-2#post-1743304

Ask the dealer to do a road force balance on your tires. They can spin balance them all they want, but that won't find the flat spots - must be done on a road force tester. To put it into perspective you can spin balance a square, but it won't be smooth going down the road.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was fortunate to find and purchase my first Yukon XL this month. I absolutely love driving it but I have one concern that I'm hoping others on here might have some insights about. Almost as soon as I took the car on the road (after purchasing) I started hearing a shaking that to me seemed to be 100% wheel imbalance (based on experience with previous cars with the same sound/feel, and that shaking going away after a rebalance). It seems to be of different intensity at different speeds, and it also seems to not occur in the same speed ranges each time I drive.

I took it in for service and the service guy experienced the same shaking/noise and ultimately decided on a full wheel rebalance. They said they took it out for a spin and declared it fixed, but as soon as I got on the road it seemed worse than before.

Other mechanics I've spoken with believe it's probably just the suspension "settling" or "breaking in" and that it should go away eventually. Not much difference if I engage 4H or keep on 2wd, breaking is smooth, sometimes I feel it in the steering wheel, and it seems to be better/worse on left/right curves on the freeway.

Does anyone have a clue if this is normal or if I should check out a different dealer to do my warranty service? The "new car" excitement is getting a little spoiled by this worry, but I can get over it if it's normal or if I can get a better idea what the problem could be.

Thank you!
On driver's door opening what in build date on label.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it sat for months waiting on parts etc, I could totally understand the flat spots. New tires are nice and soft - park it in a lot and let it bake in the sun for months, then in cold for months and it would make sense.

I agree with road force balancing. It should show any irregularities. It might be worth inquiring into how long it sat if it was one waiting on components. At that point you may have a case for GM to put on new skins all around. I wouldn't let it go with the "let's see how it goes." The longer out you go, the harder it will be to get new tires installed if need be.

Running with imbalanced or flat spotted tires that don't smooth out is only putting excessive wear on many other driveline and suspension components.

OP
OP
ShotGoat

ShotGoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the insights so far. Road Force Balance is what I was told was done but I could not for the life of me remember the term.

The build date inside the door says 5/22 and I was told that the reason they still have a '22 on the lot is because it just got its chip and came in. Silver-lining is that it's from FL so probably not much cold going on, but probably could be a flat spot...

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the insights so far. Road Force Balance is what I was told was done but I could not for the life of me remember the term.

The build date inside the door says 5/22 and I was told that the reason they still have a '22 on the lot is because it just got its chip and came in. Silver-lining is that it's from FL so probably not much cold going on, but probably could be a flat spot...
That is what I would go to dealer with build date 5/22 that's 7 months setting so tires have taken a flat spot set that needs tire replacement under warranty.
Also check your oil change monitor several posters have said their vehicles are close to 50% which they should change oil since you haven't driven that far if it is low percentage monitor also counts time setting in algorithm.

Last edited:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mine was built in May of '22 as well. The vast majority of the SUVs coming out of the Arlington plant were built short and went to Midlothian, sat for months and months and never moved an inch. Mine was delivered to the dealer in November and I took delivery early December.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other mechanics I've spoken with believe it's probably just the suspension "settling" or "breaking in" and that it should go away eventually.
If I was you I would run away from these mechanics or places that employ them and never go back...These new rigs ride amazingly smooth there is no shaking or wobbling about them. When I picked ours up with 3 miles on the odometer I was shocked at how smooth the ride was. I had never even touched one let alone driven one before that day I picked ours up. Coming from a 2011 suburban on duratracs the ride isn't even comparable

taylormade73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased our ‘22 Z71 in December and had vibes at 65+mph. Dealer couldn’t get the vibes out no matter how many times they balanced them, including road force. They got 4 new tires approved by GM and just replaced them last week. Smooth as silk now at any speed. Stay on the dealer. An $80k vehicle should have zero vibes or shake.

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember some years ago GM was having some tire problems with black vehicles. Might have been a TSB on it. Something to do with added heat curing of the paint that affected the tire sidewalls. But the Roadforce machine was part of the diagnosis and fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew